Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Nautor Brass plaques with boat details
23 June 2010 - 14:52

Nautor Brass plaques with boat details
Hi all,

A while back in one of our threads Matteo mentioned that there might be the possibility of getting plaques from Nautor to replace our now very corroded aluminum plaques. (I assume yours looks like mine). I contacted Nautor and the answer was no can do they were out??!!. Is there any interest from the association to develop a request for Nautor to make more? Lars any ideas??

Cheers

Mike

23 June 2010 - 15:19

Dear Mike,

actually I have been told Nautor found a few original brass plaques (the very first were aluminum, and have been brass casted I think at the beginning of the Seventies) in their magazines. Sixten Sandstrom know about this matter, I will send you a PM with his detailsFair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

24 June 2010 - 10:50

Mike and Matteo

Issuing new Plaques for existing yachts unfortunately can not be a routine matter where a simple application from the owner is sufficient. The yard reserves the right to decide in this matter, and reliable authentication of the yacht is necessary, as past experience shows that it can be very tempting to try to ride on the yard's reputation.

Here some observations:

The oldest S&S Swans do not have Plaques nor Hull Identification Numbers as required these days. Because of this it is not always clear which hull number is in question, and it may be impossible to trace the history far enough back to find reliable information.

In some cases there are two yachts reporting the same hull number, one must be wrong, but enough information can not be found to solve the problem.

There are a number of Swans without Plaques where it is likely that a past owner has kept them as souvenirs, and the next owner did not know to look for this detail. Plaques have also been stolen.

Some Swans are without Plaques because the yard removed them after the insurance declared the yacht a total loss. Such wrecks are frequently repaired without contacting the yard for advice or inspection, and then appear on the market as better than new.

When the disaster happened in a remote area it is possible that information about this did not even reach the yard.

There are some fake Swan Plaques around, and prospective buyers without sufficient knowledge are easily mislead. For example on Yachtworld.com there is usually a number of other builds advertised as Swans, or as being "virtually identical".

Cases of fraud occur now and then - a proud new owner contacts the yard, and is informed that the yacht he bought is not a Swan.

Because of this the yard wants to make absolutely sure that the reported type and hull number is in question before providing a new Builder's Plaque. Reliable information about past owners and boat names is required, as well as a physical inspection by a yard representative to confirm that it actually is a Swan.

Pictures are not sufficient evidence, as they can be taken anywhere.

The yard attempts to keep records of the yachts and owners, but keeping it up to date requires that new owners report themselves. The yard can not possibly know what is going on in the world unless owners take care to send information about changes.

It deserves to be mentioned that some brokers take good care to keep the records up to date, as this brings advantages.

Best regards

Lars

24 June 2010 - 11:35

H'mmm. All really good points why Nautor has to be careful. I wonder if there is anyway that we could get Nautor to define some criteria whereby they would provide plaques. For example I have the original aluminum plaque which is still legible. I have some of the ownership history and I have 40/28 written on many of the hatch covers in the boat. Of course all of these could be manufactured but if these were combined with pictures and measurements validated by a reputable yard e.g. Walsteads Jamestown or Nautor brokers maybe Nautor would consider??

What do you think?

Cheers
Mike

24 June 2010 - 14:03

Mike

The decision maker in this case is anders.byggmastar@nautors-swan.com

Lars

Have a nice Midsummer!

25 June 2010 - 08:41

Thanks Lars,

I have contacted Anders and will keep the association informed about the outcome of the brass plaque quest.

Anyway, a beautiful midsummer, unfortunately I did not spend it on the water!!! Hope you enjoyed it as well!!!

All the best

Mike

25 June 2010 - 22:51

Interesting thread! Now I start to understand why I keep finding handwritten marks "411/004" all over the boat! Sometimes with pencil, sometimes lightly engraved, behind cabinets, along the hinge thin side of the doors, under the wooden bunk covers, etc. etc.
Always well hidden but in million places!
This is indeed more reassuring than the bronze plate itself!

Daniel, 411/004

06 July 2010 - 05:57

Hi all,
So far so good. The issue is being checked into by Anders. He is on vacation now but will look into the availablity when he gets back in August.
I will be back to you when I get an answer. Now it is time for my vacation. 4 weeks of sailing!

06 July 2010 - 12:01

I'll be very interested in replacing the one on my boat/

19 July 2010 - 20:50

On our 41/022 bronze plaque and clock have probably been staying with the first owner, but we can find 41/022 written all over the place, so have no doubt about the serial number of our lady. But we have found a wooden engraved plaque in the port front cupboard: see photo attached.

Could anyone tell us what it's about??

Thank you and kind regards to all the family.

20 July 2010 - 15:32

Dear Philippe,

this is an old English registration number, I think the first owner was a British, wasn't he?

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

20 July 2010 - 15:48

You are correct Matteo: we imported the boat from Jersey.

Thank you for this information. Kind regards. Philippe.

13 June 2011 - 08:18

I just heard from Anders Byggmästar that the bronze plaques are not available anymore.

Christian 411/28 IF

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0