Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Toerail - 48'
27 October 2010 - 11:06

Toerail - 48'
Good morning , I probably have to replace ( or fix) my toerail which is bended on one side and I would like to know if anyone of you has the original drawing which shows in detail a picture of how the toerail is connected to the hull/deck ( a toerail picture' section would be good as well )

Fair winds

Sergio
Clarion of Skye 042/48

27 October 2010 - 11:12

Dear Sergio,
hope you have not to change it, because as far as I know Nautor is not able to get spare toerails any more, at least, not for the moment....
Anyway I suggest you to contact Sixten Sandstrom (I am sending you his details) in order to get more and updated news on this matter
Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

27 October 2010 - 16:51

Sergio

For removal it is necessary to open all the rail bolt nuts on the inside under the deck edge. The nuts are probably overlaminated, and some may be in awkward locations. The rail was bedded down onto mastic, and this may still keep it well attached after the bolts are removed. This is a major job

Lars

28 October 2010 - 10:03

Than you for your answers. Do you have a drawing of the toerail section to better nderstand how it is ?

Sergio

29 October 2010 - 11:58

Hello Sergio
It is better that you try to straighted the rail. When aluminium in bent by sudden force it will harden. It you can ask a boatyard to apply heat and then with steel bars on the toe rail (back and front) and the use of hydraulic jacks you will probably be able to straighten (NOT PERFECTLY) the rail. To replace might cost you several thousand Euros! This method of straightening will only cost a few hundred Euros and probably no one will notice the difference. You then could cold anodise the repaired area to cover marks on the rail.
David

29 October 2010 - 13:54

David and Sergio

It would not be advisable to heat the toe rail very much when in place, these yachts are built with orthopolyester which has a Heat Distortion Temperature in the order of 55 deg.C.

The rail would need to be heated to around 300 deg.C for hot bending.

Aluminium can be bent back cold if the deformation is small, if large unfortunately it is likely that the material will crack or break during the attempt.

Pls tell us more about cold anodising

Enclosed the requested toe rail cross section.

Lars

29 October 2010 - 18:07

Sergio
Lars is correct on the heat and so heat shunts will be required, but boat yards will/should know how to do this. Lars, if the aluminium is not creased and the bend is gentle then it may be possible to straighten. If the bend is severe and/or a crease is present then it may be very difficult.
David

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1