Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Crack in gel coat/paint
07 January 2011 - 17:20

Crack in gel coat/paint

This winter layup I have noticed a hairline crack in the paint running up the centre of the bow, about 1m long ( Swan 41/31). I have heard that the hulls were made with a join along the centre line?!!  . Is this correct, and should I be concerned. There is no evidence of anything happening on the inside.

Lars,  Just out of interest, was there a join along the deck moulding centreline as well?  How was the deck moulding secured to the hull? Is there a flange under the toe rail?

Thank you,  Cosmo Little

08 January 2011 - 17:54

Dear cosmolittle

It is correct that the hulls are made of two halves. The older Swans have tumblehome in their topsides, and this requires that the moulds are split in order to get the hull out. When doing the lamination work it is much preferable to open the mould halves, and work downwards with good ventilation. See picture below. When the halves are finished they are joined along the centerline with a laminate which is slightly thicker than the adjacent areas

It is difficult to say what would cause the cracking, maybe hot sun, but I would suggest it is cosmetic. You should, however keep an eye on the crack. It could be tried to pry it open, and fill, fair, and paint, and see if it comes back.

The deck is in one piece, and glued and bolted along the edges to a flange on the hull. The flange is visible in the picture.

Kind regards

Lars

09 January 2011 - 12:39

Thank you, Lars, for the information. I will try and insert a very thin srip of metal into the crack to see how deep it is

Cosmo Little

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0