Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - 1968 Swan 36 Hull #
10 January 2011 - 15:57

1968 Swan 36 Hull #
In October I bought a 1968 Swan 36 Boat Name "Black Rose". There is no hull number on her at all that we or the previous owner has found. I have been through all the pictures of Swan 36's on the website, including the descriptions on the Sail article from 1968 attached as a pdf file.
The only difference from the pictures on the site is the combing around the cockpit is no longer wood covered but the previous owner covered it with a white plastic type materiel that appears to be fairly durable. Also the combing above the companionway hatch which the instruments are displayed is gone. It was probably removed when the rest of the combing was rebuilt.
All other parts of the boat appear to be very original. Of course the refrigerator, cooking stove and head have been replaced but appear to be in the original locations with no modifications. The hull below he waterline and above all appear to be exactly as in the pictures on the site. Winches are mounted on stainless stanchions as shown on pictures.
Would love to verify as much as possible about this boat. It was supposedly originally delivered in Australia.
Thanks
Taildraggerdriver

10 January 2011 - 16:19

Dear Taildragerdriver,

looking at the pic you posted it is very difficult to judge. I am sure the boom is not original (at least not its lenght...) and of course the bow has been modified.

Coul you post some detailed pics, there are a lot of peculiar details which only Swans have...

Thanks a lot, and Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

11 January 2011 - 02:02

Oh yes that is one thing I missed mentioning that is that the mast and boom have been replaced all sails are roller referred with Profurl jib and boom furling.

Would love to post some detailed pictures of specific areas. I have my digital camera with me and would take pictures of any areas that could be of value for you to see.

Thanks

12 January 2011 - 14:54

We found a number on the boat that I was unaware of till yesterday. It is in deeply routed wood behind the engine on a cross member on which the floorboards lay. It looks pretty old but of course could have been installed years after the boat was built.

It is "NO 524411 NET9"

Is this recognizable to anybody and was it put on by SWAN or possibly some other country requirement. I saw in a post that the British required something like this. Maybe it could be tracked back to some registration with a hull #.

Once again if I knew any specific areas to take pictures of that would help verify the hull number.

Can anybody tell me why my formatting doesn't carry over to the post? What do I need to do make have paragraphs etc. show up.

Thanks
Taildraggerdriver

12 January 2011 - 15:06

We found a number on the boat that I was unaware of till yesterday. It is in deeply routed wood behind the engine on a cross member on which the floorboards lay. It looks pretty old but of course could have been installed years after the boat was built. It is "NO 524411 NET9" Is this recognizable to anybody and was it put on by SWAN or possibly some other country requirement. I saw in a post that the British required something like this. Maybe it could be tracked back to some registration with a hull #. Once again if I knew any specific areas to take pictures of that would help verify the hull number. Can anybody tell me why my formatting doesn't carry over to the post? What do I need to do make have paragraphs etc. show up. Thanks Taildraggerdriver

Taildraggerdriver,
that number is a US Coast Guard documentation number. Your boat was documented/registered in the US through the US Coast Guard and that number refers to that registration. If you plan on sailing in the us and you have a valid bill of sale you can request a transfer of that number to your name.
Constantine (38/053 Alexandra)

12 January 2011 - 15:56

nator38:
Thanks for the help. We have already started the process of getting US Coast Guard Registration but we had a different number that was on the Louisiana registration. I will get this number added when I talk to the Coast Guard again. I suspect they will have some record of the number which may help in the history/hull #/documentation process I'm trying to do here.
Thanks
Taildraggerdriver

14 January 2011 - 02:31

I have never been able to find pictures of the interior of a Swan 36 as they were originally built. Are there any on this site or would it be possible for someone to post some if available. I would very much like to be able to compare them to my boat in its current state.
Thanks Taildraggerdriver

14 January 2011 - 06:59

Dear Taildrager,

(you fly tail draggers?), if you go to classicswan.org then to "S&S Swans" and finally to Associated 36', you could see the pics the Members of this Association sent to be published, and there are a few of interiors, and above all there are the drawings. Anyway you can post some pics of your boat's interior, so we could give you our opinion.

Hope this helps

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

14 January 2011 - 13:02

matteosalamon Yes I fly a 1952 Cessna 170B out of a grass strip next to my house in Oregon. I fly backcountry airstrips and have about 1500 hours in it. I have gone through the Associated photos again and there none of the 36's that have any interior shots I could find. I assume other models have somewhat different interior designs so would not quite be a good comparison. I will get some shots of the interior of my boat soon and post them.
Thanks Taildraggerdriver

14 January 2011 - 13:18

Dear Taildraggerdriver,

I will look for the pics on my archive and will send them to you later tonight. When I am not sailing (and not working!) I fly an Italian built Tecnam P92 (LSA) from a grass strip too, I have a bit less then 500 h. Beautiful the 170B!!!

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

15 January 2011 - 02:06

matteosalamon: I'm including pictures of my boats chart table area and a picture of the galley in my boat, finally a picture of the salon area. See how these look as compared to original Swan 36's. Thanks Taildraggerdriver.

15 January 2011 - 23:03

Dear Taildrager,

please loot at Josian (36/007) and Carolina (36/000, the very very first S&S Swan, actually a wooden prototype of Swan 36) pics.

Could you please send detailed pics?

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

16 January 2011 - 03:24

matteosalamon: Thanks for the pictures of the interiors of the two Swan 36's. They look very similar to ours in most details. I did notice that elements of the galley and salon lighting are a bit different. The wood looks to be very similar so would indicate the majority of it or all is original. Hopefully when I get back to the US I can see if the Coast Guard # has any valuable information associated with it and hopefully a hull #. I will see if I can take time to take a picture from the companionway as these two are. Thanks Taildraggerdriver

16 January 2011 - 10:16

Dear taildragerdriver

Pls post a few pics from the deck also.

Does she have a sail number? This as well as earlier boat and owner names would be of help for finding the hull number

Kind regards

Lars

17 January 2011 - 19:25

Lars: No sail number, I hope to be finding out some past owners and boat names in the near future as I get more information from the previous owner and the coast guard. All I know is the past owner called her "Black Rose" as I am and his name is Charles Zack and has owned her for the past 14 years, since 1996 I believe. Thanks Taildraggerdriver

10 February 2011 - 01:34

I will have some new images soon from on deck. I just got back from our first passage in Black Rose. From Grand Cayman to Key West. Had a wonderful time. I now know why people love Swans we had winds up to 38 knots and she performed wonderfully. We have a few issues to work out as with any used boat but we are happy and excited to have this wonderful boat. I look forward to getting advice from and the great knowledge available on this forum as I do some maintenance in the near future. Thanks

20 October 2011 - 21:43

It has been a long time since I entered anything on this thread.

After I unserstood that the number in the bilge is the US Coast Guard registration # I decided to follow through with registration. I also inquired as to past registration and if they (Coast Guard) had a Hull #. It turns out the boat has been registered off and on since 1988, and has always been registered as "Black Rose"  No further infomation is availabe from the Coast Guard.

I have also met several previous Swan agents/representatives. Most all of them have seen or known of this boat in the US. They also always knew it as Black Rose.

Recently a previous Swan agent got a for sale document from 1/24/1995. The boat was in St. Augustine, FL and the contact was Nators Swan. I believe this is when the Previous owner purchased the boat. This same person also contacted Swan and found that they have no record of a swan 36 known as Black Rose so seemingly a dead end there too.

I'm including two recent images.

1. Cockpit and dodger area from port side.

2. Boat on the hard just after bottom was repainted.

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2