Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Filling the Pole Gutters on Swan 38
28 March 2011 - 17:34

Filling the Pole Gutters on Swan 38
Hello,

We are currently pricing a new deck for our Swan 38 'Satisfaction'. We do not use the old spinnaker pole anymore as we have a single carbon pole which is much more manageable. We wondered if anyone had filled the pole storage gutters on either side of the coachroof? I have seen this done on a swan but wondered what was used to fill the holes before the teak decking was applied on top. I thought Balsa wood might provide an option.

I'd be interested to hear the forum's thoughts!

Regards

John

29 March 2011 - 13:43

Dear John,

I don't have anything constructive to say on this matter regarding the technical issue. Your question is absolutely logical. However it is about an item on your boat that makes it unique from any other type of boat ! You could consider having poles made of carbon that will fit in the same place. (I would.)

kind regards,

Jan (Yulunga, swan38/110)

31 March 2011 - 06:42

Dear John
Would like to comment that with balsa wood you will have problems if moisture gets in somehow. It is an organic material and will rot. Closed cell foam suggested.
Kind regards
Lars

09 May 2013 - 15:31

Hello, We are currently pricing a new deck for our Swan 38 'Satisfaction'. We do not use the old spinnaker pole anymore as we have a single carbon pole which is much more manageable. We wondered if anyone had filled the pole storage gutters on either side of the coachroof? I have seen this done on a swan but wondered what was used to fill the holes before the teak decking was applied on top. I thought Balsa wood might provide an option. I'd be interested to hear the forum's thoughts! Regards John

Dear John,

I trust you have now had your deck done and are enjoying her.

Just on the off chance do you still have either of your pole jammer/claw ends as i have broken one of mine and need to replace it.

Kind regards,

James

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1