Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Single handed S&S Swan 43
03 April 2011 - 04:06

Single handed S&S Swan 43
Swan 43 - Interested in any information re single handed sailing a 43 and what modifications might be considered. Thanks

05 April 2011 - 09:39

A bit quiet right now!! Here in the North we are sanding and painting bottoms and getting ready for putting our ladies in the water.
Anyway, to answer your question. With a good autopilot self-tailing winches and a roller furling headsail these boats are great single handed boats. You need to make sure all your sail handling systems are efficient. These are sea kindly boats not like many of the modern fin keeled boats which are a bit squirrely !!!

Buy her you will not regret it

Mike from Stormsvale

26 December 2011 - 01:51

Have had my 40 for twenty years now and I often singlehand. It's nicer to have crew, but most people are not available for a long time. Often I have crew one way and the other way I must sail her alone. I have a B&G autopilot and a home built hydraulic actuator that gives me fast rudder hard-over to hard-over about 8 sec. It's important to carry the appropriate amount of sail. Once, I went downwind in 40 knots and had to put a reef into my working jib. The main was not used. The stern wave was about level with the deck aft. Scary! That was going South in Johnston Strait, East of Vancouver island. Quite a bit of current too. It's narrow, but there was almost no traffic on account of the high winds. In normal conditions single handing the boat is a piece of cake.

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2