Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Refitting a S&S Swan 43
28 May 2011 - 14:46

Refitting a S&S Swan 43

Hello to all Association members,

I just purchased a Swan 43 and am beginnning a complete refit.  I posted a question here before inking the deal and have been receiving substantial and extremely valuable advice from the professor.  Without his help, I would be lost.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and give you all a little background about me, what I know about the boat and my plans.  I live in Wilmington Delaware with my wife of 20 years, my two sons aged 18 and 14 and our three dogs.  I have have lived aboard twice for a total of 4 years, once on a Tartan 41 and once on a Shannon 50.  The first time was singlehanded for 1 year and then with my wife whom I met on a visit home.  The second trip was with our boys and two dogs during 2003-04.

I did a fair amount of work on my Shannon before leaving but she was structurally sound.  That is not the case with my new Swan.

The stringers at the bow and extending at least to the first bulkhead were replaced at some point, I believe during a 1987-1989 refit but cannot verify this, and steel tubes or solid steel was glassed in!  I know - crazy!  The starboard aft quarter stringer is showing the same type of problem but I won't know until I have time to get back there.

My current plan is to get the boat fit for travel in the Chesapeake Bay so I can sail her from Annapolis to Delaware City, DE just off the C&D Canal.  This will be a lot closer and allow me to do work more easily.

Projects so far:  all seacocks removed (most not original Blakes); entire head including all hoses removed and thoroughly cleaned; all cushions removed and entire cabin in process of cleaning; headliner down in may places for deck inspection; seam at hull/lead ground down and prepared for fairing; water intrusion in rudder - will likely need to remove for repair; various unused wires and hoses removed; new engine hoses being added; etc.

If anyone is in the area, I am currently on the hard at Herrington Harbor North and will be in Delaware City by the end of June.

Chris

01 June 2011 - 16:06

Hello Chris:

Congratulations on becoming a Swan 43 owner.

If you haven't already done so check out the 43 Maintenance section of this association.  There are some useful info that I along with other 43 owners have posted.

Also if you have any photos and short explanations of projects performed on your 43 please submit them for posting.

Thanks,

Hiro

01 June 2011 - 19:01

Hello Hiro,

Thank you for your reply.  Yes I have visited the maintenance section but have not really dug in yet.

I am in the process of many projects. most of which are designed to get me and the family sailing this summer - the real work will begin over the winter time.

I have pictures and will try to post in the near future.

Chris

06 June 2011 - 15:09

Hi Chris,

It's great to hear from another relatively new comer.  I purchased Circe (Swan 43/041) only a few weeks ago and, like you, have received extremely valuable advice from Lars.  It's great to have someone there you can ask questions and get advice from.  I have also appreciated Hiro's contributions to the Maintenance section and Manual.

I am based in Melbourne, but Circe is located in Sydney (600 nautical miles to the north).  I was hoping to sail her south, but she has a number of problems.  Although the hull is basically sound, there is corosion at the base of the mast (and possibly elsewhere), the engine needs work and the sails have seen better days.  After I bought her I found out she had been "submerged" (i.e., almost sunk at her moorings) a couple of years ago.  This explains the dodgy wiring and squeeky floor boards.

She is a beautiful old lady, but in need of some love and attention.  All in all she is in no shape to tackle the rigours of the Tasman Sea and Bass Strait.  Instead she has to suffer the ignominy of having to travel south on the back of a truck.  She will, however, have the fairly unique experience of travelling at around 50 knots!!!

Once in Melbourne, I will have the mast and rig completely overhauled and some basic repairs to the hull, rudder and trim tab, and new ant-fouling, etc.  At least it will be a start.

Circe has a number of strange anomalies.  The mainsheet traveller and wheel are located at the front of the cockpit and the primary winches are located inboard at the back (see below), presumanbly for short-handed sailing. Additionally, the mast has been moved back about 8 inches from the original specifications, apparently to improve her rating.

I am currently looking at what might be involved with getting her back to her original specifications, but this may be a major task.

In the mean time, I am looking forward to spending a couple of days at the Rendezvous and looking at how the other 43s are set up.

Good luck with your refit

Andrew

07 June 2011 - 22:46

Hi Andrew,

This assocation is a real boon.  Just think, you're around the world and we can share our projects and get information from the entire group.

For example, the Professor just determined that my boat is hull 003!  Now I know.

Good luck with your winter projects.

I am working hard to get mine in the water so i can sail her this summer and fall.  She has 8 holes right now - seacocks on the way.  And two to be filled with glass and epoxy this weekend.

I should take the rudder off, but I don't know if I have time this summer before launching.  Here are a picture of my new yacht and the rudder project.

Happy sailing.

Chris

09 June 2011 - 20:46

Dear All,

what Chris is not telling you is that his boat is Casse Tete III, she used to be Mike Hurrell's boat, a very famous racing man in England. Casse Tete is famous because the fame Nautor had across the world started after her succes on regattas.

Chris, I do hope you will switch her back to her original name...!

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

p.s. it's a pity I am courrently 1,5 h hours far from your boat and haven't spare time to visit, but due to my business schedule could be back in the area before the summer, or at least just after

13 June 2011 - 20:45

Hi Matteo,

I just learned about the herritage of my fine new yacht from Lars!  And he sent me a write-up from the 1969 Admiralty cup.

As i mentioned in my email to you - you are welcome to visit me any time you are in the area!

I apologize for the late reply to your note, but I was working on the boa this weekend and then got caught up in "real"work.  Is there a way I can change my settings so that I receive automatic notification of commets to my email address?

With regard to names, I had planned to name the boat after my mother - "Mabel."  I still have this plan, but will consider your request. 

With warm regards,

Chris

13 June 2011 - 20:58

Dear Chris,

you can certainly be advised when there is a new message/reply on a thread, just click on the alert bottom above (see picture below) and you will get an automatic messagge whenever there is a new message.

I can understand, it's a pity but from time to time we should think of our own business (that was the real reason I was in your area last week)!

You should go on and call her after your mother's name! Think if something as "Mabel" and just underneath "ex Catte Tete" would suit you? It would be a pity to forget the original name of one of the most famous Sparkman & Stephens Swan, THE boat who was crucial to the future of the company...!

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

14 June 2011 - 00:05

Hi Matteo,

I like your idea!  My wife is in favor of going back to the original - let me think it over a bit, and, of course, talk it over with Mom!

I am very excited about my new found information - I feel a part of a legend - even if it is vicariously!

No matter what, I plan to bring her back to her original beauty.  New seacocks came today and go in on Thursday!

With warm regards,

Chris

14 June 2011 - 06:04

Dear Chris,

yes, Casse Tete is part of a legend!

Please send images of the new seacocks when you are installing them.

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 3