Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Perkins 4.108
31 May 2011 - 14:25

Perkins 4.108

Forum Members,

I have two questions regarding maintenance for my 4.108 - new boat (1969 43) and new engine to me!

1.  I unsuccessfully tried to drain the fresh water cooling system.  The directions call for removal of a plug, which I did, removal of the cap and then a valve to drain the system - I could not tell from the pictures in the manual where this valve is - can someone help on this?  The engine is a 1989 model built in UK.

2.  This engine did not come with the oil sump pump mounted on the engine.  Do those who have this pump like it?  Should I pay up for one or connect a hose and pump to the oil plug at the back of the sump?

Thanks,

Chris

01 June 2011 - 12:40

Chris,
I strongly suggest you to download the original Perkins manual you can find in this site after subscribing:
http://www.classicswan.org/file/maintenance-manual/2008_06_23_16_06_25-perkins_4108_WorkshopManual.pdf
There you will find all the indications you need. As far as I understand in order to drain the fresh water circuit there are no special valves to be taken care of but only one or two drain taps and the filler cap. In certain cases it may be advisable to slacken a couple of hose securing clips.
Please notice that avoiding air bubbles in refilling might be more tricky.

Daniel, 411-004

01 June 2011 - 14:07

Thanks, Daniel.

I will attempt to drain the fresh water system again after reviewing the process in the online manual you referenced.

I already have copies of the shop and maintenance manuals, but the pictures are so unclear as to be virtually useless - the online version may be better.

Thanks for your feedback.

Chris

18 June 2011 - 08:26

Chris,

I have oil sump pump assembled on right side of the engine, but I don't use it when servicing the engine. The problem is that there is not space enough for sufficient size oil container between the pump outlet and the right hull beam. Man should use a small cup and empty it several times to a larger gallon during the oil change and this is not very clean work in practise. In some other model things can be better from this point of view.

Ilkka, 411/006

18 June 2011 - 15:29

I have done the same thing until few days ago and, I agree, it is a very uncomfortable and messy operation. As you write, only a small cup has room enough and, even worse, oil keeps oozing for a long time after one stops pumping. Now I bought a hand vacuum pump (Pela is one but there are also other equivalent brands) and things are far easier. Insert the long thin hose in place of the dipstick, pump a few times and all the oil is magically transferred into the big can that can be taken care of easily. Not fast but very clean. Still remains the oil filter which, for a sadistic reason I ignore, is mounted upside down in the Perkins 4.810...

Daniel 411/004

19 June 2011 - 18:03

Dear Ikka and Daniel,

Thank you for your replies - very valuable information!

I decided to purchase a hand pump that will be mounted on the bulkhead - I need to do a little fabrication to make it work - which attaches to a hose which attaches to the threaded bushing  for the oil sump drain plug.  The pump and hose are installed, but not finally mounted.  So far, the pump works as advertised, however, like the one you have descried on your Perkins, I think it may drip from the spout when finished.  So, in my final design, I will be sure to build in a cup to capture any drips - or possibly a seal of some sort.

When complete, i will be sure to post pictures.

Thanks,

Chris

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1