Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Hole in the hull?
06 July 2011 - 20:43

Hole in the hull?
I own REBECCA (43 feet) # 39 and noticed a small (3 - 4 mm) hole well below the water line, forward on the port side. It is above the lead keel and is forward of the through hole for the knot meter. The bottom paint around it makes it appear to have been there for some time. I explored it with a short piece of wire and it isn't very deep and doesn't seem to go anywhere. It is perfectly round and looks to be there for some purpose.....I can't imagine what purpose however. Is it some sort of weap hole?

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

John

08 July 2011 - 10:44

John,
I waited for a while that someone more competent with your boat answered but probably everybody is in vacation. From your description the only thing that I can think because it would resemble my boat (a Swan S&S 411) is that the hole you see serves to mark the position of the bilge drain plug. There is no place for weep holes on a boat hull and on the bottom of the hole there should be just the solid bronze of the outer part of the plug.

Daniel, 411/004

10 July 2011 - 10:59

Dear John
The hole has been made for some purpose, but if there is nothing left on the inside giving a clue it is suggested that you fill it up.
Kind regards
Lars

13 July 2011 - 06:30

Daniel and Lars,

Thanks for your input. Before launching I did as you suggested, Lars and filled the small hole with epoxy. I can't imagine what it was for.

John

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 3