Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Replacing Blakes Seacocks
31 July 2011 - 01:12

Replacing Blakes Seacocks
I'm replacing the seacocks on my swan 44 and find that the new 3/4" Blakes measure only 1/2" i.d. while the originals measure the full 3/4". I'm not too concerned about my raw water inlet for the galley but am a little concerned about bilge/ sump pump discharge and very concerned about the raw water to cool the Perkins 4.108. Anybody have any experience here?
Tony
44/04 Hatha

31 July 2011 - 09:22

Hi Tony

check with your shipchandler because Blakes has now two size available (1/2 and 1 inch, they don't produce the 3/4 any more), I would suggest you to get the 1 inch for the engine intake.

fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

31 July 2011 - 21:25

Tony
The raw water pump port size is 3/4", and the sea cock and hose should be at least this size.
Matteo's advice is a very good one in this case.
Kind regards Lars

01 August 2011 - 03:05

Thanks guys. Actually upon inspection I'm thinking of servicing and leaving the engine raw water seacock and even servicing and re-installing the other original 3/4 seacock. I just can't see any reason not to. The (2) 1 1/2" seacocks I will replace.
Tonyh
44/04 Hatha

02 August 2011 - 19:30

Hi Tony,

I recently purchased a Swan 43/003 and have been doing a lot of work which has included replacement of all of my seacocks - some of which were Blakes. I previously owned a Shannon 50 - Shannon historically had exclusively installed solid bronze seacocks made by Spartan. In speaking with a friend of mine at Shannon, he said they now install either these Spartan bronze seacocks or OEM Marelon seacocks by Forespar (the OEM seacocks cannot be purchased at a retail store). I understand, Professor, please correct me if I am wrong, that Swan also installs this type of seacock in some of their new yachts.

In the end, after much research, I opted for the OEM marelon seacocks (which are actually ball-valves) for the following reasons: recommended by Shannon, a company I know to use only the best quality components available on their yachts; I believe also recommended by Swan; low or no maintenance compared to the solid bronze seacocks which are maintenance intensive; no bonding issues; and less expensive. I am told that the OEM marelon seacocks are extremely strong.

I have installed two so far and expect to finish the job this month - there's a lot to do in addition to this project!

Hope this helps - please let me know if I can provide any additional information.

Chris

03 August 2011 - 10:18

Tony and Chris
The Forespar Marelon sea cocks have approval from UL and ABYC, and meet the requirements of the European Recreational Craft Directive.
As far as known these are now used on the smaller Swans.
There is one requirement, however, which they do not meet, and this is when commercial use of the yacht is involved.
Metal sea cocks are required in engine spaces for yachts with Classification or MCA coding for charter because of fire resistance regulations.
It would not be a bad idea to use this approach also for pleasure yachts
For your information there is also a Forespar model denoted the Flowtech Valve, it is peculiar because when closed a flush hull surface is created. Flowtech is therefore the preferred choice for racing yachts. It does not have approval though.
Best regards
Lars

03 August 2011 - 17:32

Hi Lars,

Thank you for that informative reply.  I have already purchased the OEM marelon and will likely stick with them even near the engine room.  I will note, however, that the raw water intake seacock is forward and to starboard of the engine compartment; floor board is between the two.  I think this should be safe.  Also, I have an automatic halogen fire extinguisher in place.

Thanks again.

Chris

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0