Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Swan 41 sliding hatch
07 August 2011 - 02:21

Swan 41 sliding hatch
Dear Forum, are you able to advise please from the following photos whether Scotch Bonnet's hatch has been modified and no longer drops down as the proper operation is described in previous threads? In fact I see an earlier question to the Professor, and can't see an answer, asking whether the drop down hatch may have been a modified design introduced part way through the 41 build series and perhaps the answer is relevant to my situation? I am yet to deliver the boat from NZ, hopefully in the next few weeks, and am only working from photos supplied by the yard myself. I bought 4 latches from Nautor sent direct to the boat but the yard has told me they can't fit them as they don't engage / disengage without being able to lift the hatch a few mm which doesn't happen. So looking at these photos it seems the perspex cover never comes into contact with the seals on the inner frame which look original, but perhaps the outer frame and slides are not to the original design and it is operating without seals? Your advice much appreciated. Andrew 41/039

07 August 2011 - 09:24

Dear Andrew
The 41:s did not originally have hatches that dropped down on the seals, this improvement came later.
Your hatch has been modified, the lips at the lower edge of the Perspex, and the grooves for them (aluminium extrusions?) are additions. Neat work, but probably leaks.
The Perspex has been lifted, and there appears to be a rather big slot above the seals, so these do not work. One possibility here would be to use an inflatable seal on top of the coaming inside the present seals. With such a seal the latches are recommended . The latches require hooks recessed into the Perspex.
A dodger over the hatch would also keep the water away, information on the Forum
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1