Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Boom vang attachment broke
07 August 2011 - 21:32

Boom vang attachment broke
This weekend the D-hook on a steel plate to which the boomvang and reef lines are attached broke of. How do I remove this plate. Do I just turn the bolts from the outside or should I remove the interior roof lining? If I need to remove the headlining how should I do this? Is there a spare part or should I ask someone to weld a new D on the plate?

Kind regards,

Paul
Swan 38 Swanic

08 August 2011 - 13:50

Paul
It is suggested that you take down an overhead panel in order to see the underside of the attachment. Pull down the teak battens between the padded panels beginning from one end - take care so they do not break - this will disclose the screws holding the panels.
If you have the piece that broke off it could be welded back, or a new piece can be used, but I would suggest a modification. The vang loads are largest when the boom is out, and this loads the D sideways which is not a strong direction. Adding side supports would improve the strength considerably, see appended sketch. The supports should be straight and have the same diameter as the D, and meet it near the highest point. Mount the fitting so the supports are located towards the mast.
Kind regards
Lars

08 August 2011 - 20:36

I tried to remove the overhead panel. After removing the two teak battens I encounter on both sides a multiplex panel on which the panel seems to be glued. The multiplex panel seems a lot bigger. I am not sure if this is original. How much of the battens should I remove. I was hoping removing the central panel just in front of the hatch in the cabin would be enough. I am afraid that i will have to remove the entire roof.

09 August 2011 - 14:44

Paul
Suggest you remove battens on one side until you find screws
Lars

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0