Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Antifouling on propeller
31 August 2011 - 22:26

Antifouling on propeller
Hi Folks,
Some times ago, I promised to report on my antifouling for propeller. Well, please see the results in the attached pic. After one and half year in the water, there were no growing things at all! Amazing. So, two alternatives: Either the waters in the South of Sweden, where Farouche is located do not support any life OR, the product is actually good!

In the pic, I have just changed the zinc whilst the propeller looked fine from the start. The "magic product is the Kiwi PROPSPEED. It is applied in two acts: a primer and then a clear coat.
Please follow the two links bellow on youtube and see for yourself:

Part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54AN-XVmXUs
Part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dim1F-ND8gk&feature=related

Cheers//Philippe (47/050)

01 September 2011 - 15:40

Phillipe, that looks great - I must get some. After just three months in the water Black Tie has small sized barnacles all over the prop and shaft. Thanks for doing the research. Gavin

01 September 2011 - 18:25

Hello Gavon,

Thanks. It is really a good stuff. By the way, did you received/downloaded the Elba pictures that I send both to you and to John? I hope so.

Cheers//Philippe
(47/050)

01 September 2011 - 22:01

Philippe, thanks for the pictures - it is alway nice to see ones which you haven't taken. We spent our summer cruise enjoying your French rose too......

02 September 2011 - 14:58

Dear Philippe,

sounds great!
Will try it next year, hope it works even in the hot Mediterranean waters (my experience until now are as bad as Gavin's)

Thanks a lot, and Fair Winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

02 September 2011 - 20:01

Dear all
There are at least three more products claiming to provide similar protection - Tikal Prop Gel, Prop Shield, Transducer Paint 1973.
More testing suggested.
Best regards
Lars

03 September 2011 - 05:21

Hi all,
We have been in a high growth environment for years, and North Island NZ qualifies, migrating between NZ and Fiji, Tonga etc. and have observed extensive Speed Prop results at the boatyard here in Gulf Harour, (all the Kiwi's use it) and it works very well here, provided you renew it every year, and it is not inexpensive.
Since we did Coppercoat bottom paint, and haul only every 4-5 years, when the speed prop has lost effectiveness, and we are back to scrubby pads and 600 wet paper, a effective alternative to a spotless variprop is to place a heavy duty trash bag over the propeller with a cable tie. If this is filled with fresh water from a hose before closing the cable tie, all the growth is on the outside of the bag, and the prop and zinc are in perfect condition when removed.

smooth seas,

Robert

23 September 2011 - 13:04

I have been using propspeed on my boat for a few years and the most I've been able to get is about 20 months, which is great. The product is expensive but if you approach a yard while they are applying it to a set of big props from a mega-yacht, they will do yours for a few bucks. Once you open the propspeed kit you have to use the while thing and it is too much for out little props.

05 February 2012 - 14:17

Hi Folks, Some times ago, I promised to report on my antifouling for propeller. Well, please see the results in the attached pic. After one and half year in the water, there were no growing things at all! Amazing. So, two alternatives: Either the waters in the South of Sweden, where Farouche is located do not support any life OR, the product is actually good! In the pic, I have just changed the zinc whilst the propeller looked fine from the start. The "magic product is the Kiwi PROPSPEED. It is applied in two acts: a primer and then a clear coat. Please follow the two links bellow on youtube and see for yourself: Part one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54AN-XVmXUs Part two: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dim1F-ND8gk&feature=related Cheers//Philippe (47/050)

Hi, has anybody experienced the work necessary for renewing the Propspeed procedure on the propeller after one or more seasons?
Any experience somebody, concerning the other products Prop Shield and Tikal Prop Gel?

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0