Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Lewmar 48st new crowns, and 44 55 65 too
03 September 2011 - 23:50

Lewmar 48st new crowns, and 44 55 65 too
Hi all,
I contacted http://www.winchspares.com/ at the kind suggestion of Lars in another thread, and am ordering top and bottom ST crowns for my 4 winches (as well as some other parts). Mike informed me that they have orders for four already, my order makes 8 and they need 10 to begin production (in an economical lot...). So I was wondering if there was any interest from any other owners for this particular part? The price seems very reasonable, less than 1/2 of what Lewmar charged me last time I could still get parts from them.
I also am getting crowns for my 44st, 55st and 65st winches, so if there is interest in these sizes?
smooth seas,

Robert

07 September 2011 - 10:16

Robert:

I might want to get some sets for my winches, I will check the count and sizes. Did they tell you how much they would cost (roughly)? How long do these parts last? I wonder if UV shortens the life, and if using winch covers, which so far I do not, might extend life? I will check back in a day or two after I get to the boat.

Thanks, and fair winds,

Geoff
Corazon, 411 #41

07 September 2011 - 23:32

Geoff,
Good questions, the issues with these winches as they age seem to be:
1. Wear on the "waveform" that grips the line in the self tailing mechanism (upper and lower crown) The anodizing wears thru, the grip becomes sharp and destroys the line, or no longer satisfactorily grips. Building up again by welding, grinding back to original shape and then re-anodizing usually distorts the fit to the drum, and costs as much or more than replacements. The estimate given was 160 pounds for replacement top and bottom crowns.
2. Wear/corrosion of the crown at the SS fasteners to the drum.
3. Corrosion at the lower crown to the drum.
4. The plastic bits perish from UV, so we always keep ours with covers, and our covers are made with a waterproof inner top. This keeps water from washing the grease out on the new teak deck and in the winch, and in places like Oz, keeps the blowing sand out of all the parts while not using them.
5. Corrosion at the SS inserts of the Aluminum bases eventually weakens the base enough to need replacement. Tefgel or similar products applied each time you service the winch helps slow this down. I place an oil absorbent pad cut to shape inside each winch when I service them to catch the oil from the base drains so it does not stain the FG or the teak.
6. Wear on gears and pawl pockets should be checked.
That said, these are wonderful winches, robust, and at 30 years old, having sailed 100,000+ miles without a failure, I am very happy to service and change parts as needed, rather than buy new as the holes for mounting are always different, and the new winches do not seem to be better...
Mike said he will get back to me with prices for everything else I want early next week, so I will post his reply for information.

I have 2 sets of 48st crowns that I ordered to begin production if anyone needs these.

Regards,

Robert

11 September 2011 - 00:15

Robert:

I have (2) each 58ST, 48ST, 44ST, and one each 40ST and 34ST. I think I would need the upper and lower crown pieces for the 58's and the 44's, which are gray and seem to me to be somewhat more vulnerable to cracking then the others, on which those parts are black and appear more solid/less degraded at least visually. As for other parts, I am open to suggestion - everything is working, but I would want to buy any parts that might be 'hard to get' later - so how do I add my parts to the pool?

Thanks, and fair winds -

Geoff
Corazon, 411 #41

12 September 2011 - 03:36

Hi, Geoff,
I suggest that you contact Mike at sales@winchspares.com directly. I am getting the items that my winches need, that Lewmar no longer supplies. Mike seems very informed, so if he does not make the parts himself, he said he has sources. So far he has been easy to work with, and quite prompt, considering he says it is a part time business for him due to seasonal demand.
The plastic parts are an issue, thus covers, but they will not last as long as the alloy parts, and Lewmar stops supplying them.
Hope this helps! We are cruising the Queensland coast of Oz currently, and have intermittent internet, thus I will try not to be the middle person...

smooth sailing (these are just such great boats!)
Regards,
Robert

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1