Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Bonding circuit
09 September 2011 - 18:28

Bonding circuit
This is a very technical question particularly addressed to Lars and other experts.
I am confused by some comments I find on boat forums on the net regarding the bonding circuit on boats. The same all our S&S Swan have from birth. Someone who considers himself an expert, affirms that the bonding is made to prevent corrosion while, as far as I know, it is made principally for electrical safety on board and lightning protection. In fact it is my understanding that bonding, in some cases, may itself increase the possibility of galvanic corrosion.

What is the truth?

Daniel, 411/004

12 September 2011 - 10:09

Dear Daniele
Nobody dared to comment on this subject, but I make an attempt.
First it needs to be said that lightning protection is a separate system described earlier on this forum, and not to be confused with bonding, which means connecting all metal underwater parts with cables to a zinc.
It appears that very few boats have lightning protection as standard, and therefore the cables are often assumed to be part of a bonding system, particularly in the USA, where bonding is much more frequently used than in Europe.
Nautor does not use bonding, because the underwater components used are corrosion resistant and insulated from each other by the GRP hull. The exception is a bronze propeller on a stainless shaft, here a galvanic couple is created, but by adding a zinc protection is provided for the propeller.

ABYC in the USA has published a great number of standards, among them one for bonding systems, and it happens that yacht owners refer to this and suggest that it is a must to bond. There are also experts in yachting magazines promoting this view.
It can be noted, however, that ABYC also has a standard for unbonded systems, and in Europe there is, as far as I know, no standard for bonding. This possibility is only mentioned in the passing in the RCD ISO standard for electrical low voltage systems.
As long as everything is in order there is no difference if underwater components are bonded or not, provided the unbonded ones can take care of themselves. But, if something goes wrong with a bonded system, for example an electrical leak occurs, then all the bonded components are affected.
ABYC means American Boat and Yacht Council, RCD Recreational Craft Directive
Best regards
Lars

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2