Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Vang on a 41:
13 October 2011 - 18:18

Vang on a 41:

I hope I am not posting an horrendous question....!

I have noticed in Marciana that about every-one seemed to have a rigid vang on their boat. As far as we are concerned we have none, and feel happy using the mainsheet traveller when close-hauled, and the original Lewmar tackle attached to 1/3 of the boom on one end and to the genoa rail or the toe rail on the other end when reaching.

So my questions: what is the advantage of the modern vang system from a sail adjustment point of view (admitting that its more hassle to go around to put the tacklle on and off)?? For instance, is it being used to reduce the weight of the very heavy boom on the sail by very light weather?? Did you suppress the topping lift? Etc...

On a 41, 411 what type/make of vang did you install (keeping the original very heavy boom on which have been added blocks and winches for slab reefing) ??

Many thanks, fair winds, and kind regards.

Philippe. 41/022

17 October 2011 - 17:50

Philippe:

On my Swan 43 I replaced the vang set up you describe with a rigid vang.

The boom weight is now supported by the vang and allows for a better mainsail shape, especially in light air, and also acts as a topping lift when you lower your mainsail.

Here in the USA various manufacturers sell the vang from $300-$500 which include the fittings at the base of the mast and boom.  My vang is a Garhauer unit made in California and is a stainless steel unit.  It is now 11 years old and I have never had a problem with it.

One techinical note to consider for a rigid vang is that the boom may need local reinfocement such as an external plate shaped to match the boom extrusion to distribute the additional loading of the boom vang.

Smooth Sailing,

Hiro Nakajima, Swan 43 "Hiro Maru"

20 October 2011 - 19:52

Merci beaucoup, Hiro.

Your answer does help me, but its not obvious to have such equipment shipped from the US to France.

So, even though this does not seem to be a very exciting subject, I would appreciate a European answer so as to find the proper kit. Could any 41 or 411 owner post some information?? Make, ref of the kit, degree of satisfaction?? Is the boom self supporting with this equipment?

Many thanks. Fair winds to those still sailing!

Philippe 41/022

20 October 2011 - 20:31

Philippe
Garhauer has a French agent
http://www.croixdusudmarine.com/
but there are similar units made by other manufacturers.
Best regards
Lars

21 October 2011 - 10:36

Hello, Philippe!

On our Infant, we have a boom vang made by Pfeiffer.

Kind regards

Jyrki 38/014

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0