Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Replacing seacocks
17 October 2011 - 21:53

Replacing seacocks

I need to replace the seacocks on the toilet discharge and the galley sink outlet,on our 411, this winter. They are I think the orginal Blakes valves. The replacements come with a flange and 4 bolts for fixing, however the existing ones do not appear to have any bolts, they seem to be simply glassed into place.

Before cutting the old ones out can anyone advise how the originals were installed.

Thanks.

Paul 411 042

17 October 2011 - 22:56

Dear Paul,

there is a post in this section, 6th April 2010 on replacing original Blakes seacock, I think all the info you are looking for can be found there.

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

18 October 2011 - 02:42

Hi Paul

I have just finished replacing all of my Blakes except for 2 with new ones, and here is what I did.

Rather than cutting the old ones out, I found it fairly easy to grind away the glasswork inside the boat then tap out the fitting with a drift from the outside. After some prep work I re glassed the new ones back into the same holes. I did not use the bolts but rather made sure I got a good bond surface between the hull and the brass flange, used thickened epoxy filler for gap filling, and glassed them over as they were before with two 6 inch circles of cloth covering the flange. I wedged a stick between the valve and cabin ceiling to apply some pressure while the epoxy cured.

The one thing i found that did cause me some trouble is that what Blake now calls a 3/4 inch seacock is actually only 1/2 inch pipe size.

Hope this helps

Tonyh 44/04 Hatha

18 October 2011 - 19:03

Matteo and Tonyh.

Thanks for your responses, I will follow your method Tonyh.

thanks Paul

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1