Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Size of the water lines 431...
18 November 2011 - 10:48

Size of the water lines 431...

Hi Friends

At moment I am making the new teak deck....Thanks to the crisis....only 12.000 Eur..

When i finish this job, I want to paint the 2 water lines,  bud someone has removed  from the boat years ago, and I don´t  now the size of them...

Does Anybody can tell me the exactly size and the distance betwen the lines?

Thank´s in advance

Fernando

Aldebaran 431/10

18 November 2011 - 21:18

Fernando, I don't know the answer to your question but I thought I'd reply as I have just spent a morning in the US discussing them for my boat with Jim from Jamestown Boatyard.
What they say is that the gaps and stripes increase in size going up so the first small space is the one between the antifouling and the bottom stripe with the top of the two stripes being broader. The other thing they do is flare the stripe slightly at the bow and stern so that when you look at the boat from the side, the stripes look like they are a constant size even though they curve away from you. I'm not sure what the yard did originally and I'm sure the Professor will know.

Good luck with the project. Gavin

19 November 2011 - 00:31

Fernando, Gavin
Matteo posted here some time ago that a detailed drawing showing the stripe layout was available from S&S.
I contacted them and they emailed me the drawing the very next day, very impressive!
I did find after looking through old photos that the actual waterline of my boat was more like 9 inches below the trim screws as opposed to the designed 12 inches.
We spent some time making sure the boat was level on her stands and re-established the waterline using a construction laser, will do the same when we re-paint the boot top stripes. You need to work in the evenings so you can see the laser light but that perfect reference line is extremely helpful.
Good luck!
Tonyh 44/04 Hatha

19 November 2011 - 11:22

Fernando
Out of interest who is doing your teak deck for 12,000 EUR ?
Tom
38/111

20 November 2011 - 12:42

Tony and Gavin
The S&S boot top stripes reflect the sheer, i.e. are higher up at the ends, and also get wider there when seen from a distance.
The important thing is to determine where the water surface is, as the drawing uses this as reference.
One possiblity is to find a sistership having the original boot top in place, and measure the location of the stripes at the ends, and work out the mid part from the drawing. A laser or similar device is certainly needed to get a smooth result, and it is no easy job.
Best regards
Lars

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2