Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Rigging failure swan 41/031
10 December 2011 - 20:39

Rigging failure swan 41/031
This is to report failure of all 4 lower shrouds during Atlantic crossing. 7 out of 8 swages failed, with the outer 12 strands of the 1/19 wire breaking at the swage. Just the core of 7 strands was left. This rigging was only 2 years old. pictures will follw

Has anyone seen this sort of failure before? Could it be caused by 3000 miles ocean sailing? Were the rigging tensions incorrect?

Cosmo Little

13 December 2011 - 08:22

Dear Cosmo Little
I would suggest the reported damage affecting all lowers is very unusual considering time span and distance. My guess is that this was caused by bending fatigue in connection with some initial damage to the outer strands, but how the latter was caused is a mystery.
Have the leeward shrouds slacked and slopped around extensively at sea? Were the lowers slack also in harbour? Close up photos of the broken strand ends and swages may provide some clues. Is there corrosion?
Best regards
Lars

14 December 2011 - 21:25

Dear Lars

At the moment I am struggling with Brazilian internet and have been unable to upload photos. We have made some temporary lower shrouds from galvanized wire that will get us to Trinidad where I hope to get proper rigging. There may be a choice between standard swage terminals and Norseman type terminals. I feel that Norseman type are kinder to the wire. I suspect that the failed swages may have been caused by over compressing the swage, which may have slightly damaged the outer strands. I will keep all the damaged swages, and hope to get an analysis when I get back to UK. Meanwhile I will post photos when possible. A correction, the rigging was all replaced by the previous owner 4 and one half years ago.
regards

Cosmo little

16 December 2011 - 13:43

Hi Cosmo, from a discussion I had with my riggers recently, possible cause of failure could be;

Repeated movement of the wire due to loose rigging causing the wire to harden at the swage terminal end and subsequetly braking.   Did you notice any slack in the rig when sailing? Or inferior wire, some rigging companies are using wire produced in China as its cheaper.  Some larger rigging companies test their press by distructive testing of a sample swaged terminal by pulling the wire until the swage fails. Many riggers do not.  I am currently re rigging Avista using Sta-lok terminals i.e. same principal as Navtec. I am told the joint is three times stronger than a swage terminal and you can make your own repairs.  Hope it all works out.

John B

07 February 2012 - 16:01

I have also used Sta-Lok terminals in the past with great results.  I agree that the ability to do the work yourself, and therefore know that it's done correctly, is invaluable!  A really good rigger is worth three times his price, just like a good mechanic, but it's hard to judge one's ability. 

I am sorry to hear about your rigging problems - that must have been scary.  Good luck with your trip to Trinidad and the repairs.

Chris

• Threads : 1706
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1