Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Keel Bolts and General Topics on Keel - Question re. 431/003 keel attachment
12 April 2016 - 12:38

Hello, after careful measurements last weekend I could say that the r=170mm in CAID. It can be seen in the drawning that the difference in r between our Yachts is 30mm.

This could meant that Chinook is original and someone has beefed up Caid at this part of the keel structure. If Caid has the original form someone has removed 30mm from Chinooks structure. I have fixed a small crack there but kept  the original form. The drawning of the keel arc structure at the left hand corner of the picture is based what I found during the repair. It looked very original.

IHe

CAID 431-12

keel arc curvature

12 April 2016 - 17:36

HI IHe, 

many thanks for this study, and for your help. Wow, what a surprise! Actually, the situation shows even more of a difference between the two boats than you have found, as what I had measured is DIAMETER 105mm, not RADIUS 105mm. I will draw this up 1:1 again, and check again next weekend, when on board again. 

And actually, me too had this area reinforced by some additional GRP, due to this small crack I still have there, a couple of years back. And still such a more sharp curve than yours. 

Can it be that the boats are differing so much in this location? I'd be surprised, in case they come out of the same mold. Lars, do you maybe have an input to this discussion? 

Christian

CHINOOK // 431-003

13 April 2016 - 07:57

Hi Christian. Here's a picture with Your last information added (r=52mm). The backedge of the rounding is about 10mm thick at Caid and has the same form and look as all of the keelpocket downwards. Is Yours more rounded?

IHe

CAID 431/12

13 April 2016 - 09:50

Dear Christian

Referring to your question about the keel aft end repair, you can well postpone this, as there are no problems showing on the inside.

The original radius is shown on the lines plan, and I know that Matteo has one, maybe he could have a look at this detail?
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0