Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Long Distance Cruising in Swan 41
21 December 2010 - 14:57
#22
Join Date: 02 March 2007
Posts: 83

Dear Anthea,

 

  I recommend fitting a second stay on the 41 for a jib, either hanked on or roller furling. There has been quite a lot of discussion about this on the forum, see the posts (in maintenance section) of 24 August 09 and 4 Jan 10.

 

Cosmo Little (Trinket, 41/31)

21 December 2010 - 17:41
#23
Join Date: 03 March 2007
Posts: 243

HI All,

Wind Pilot. Nice to hear about this. I plan on getting one before we push off.

Website and Blog: Nice site!! I understand the updating problem. Like you I would rather be sailing, diving, swimming or traveling than keeping up a web site.

Asym vs Symmetrical Spinnaker. We have both but use the Asym the most. Interestingly we do not suffer from the S&S roll with the Asym. NIce piece of kit and we have the stuffer which makes taking it down easy.

Just bought a new main. Fully battened with a bit more roach. I had 3 reefs in my old main and was quite happy with it in heavy winds. Hove to with it and a storm jib and it gave a nice ride in 45+

Like you I do not push offshore but do so in coastal waters. As you point out it is a bit more problematic when you break gear offshore!!

Best day 194 nm. Mid Atlantic Beam reaching in 20 -25 nm wind. It was like we were on rails. What a feeling!!! Worst day 54 nm. Felt like I was dragging an anchor.

We averaged 140 Nm per day on the crossing. I have to admit I was still in racing mode those days so more trimming than I do now.

Merry Christmas!!!

The crew of Storm Svale

22 December 2010 - 19:57
#24
Join Date: 04 March 2007
Posts: 41

Dear all,

concerning crossing speed:

LOG NAOMI S&S 411/22 38°34N 33°36W at 1200 070608
Storm raging since yesterday, SW blowing force 7 and maybe 8, seas 2 to 3,5 meters filling the cockpit every so often, Naomi surfing with 2 reefs in the main and the 135% reefed 50%... Best day ever 178M/24h!!! Front hit us at 2000 last night. Traffic crossing every few hours, all respond to VHF and agree to joint maneuvers. Barometer never lower than 1025.

We did a fairly direct route Trinidad to Horta: 2660M / 18.5 days = 144M / day = 6kts.

Concerning wind vanes, I have a Monitor, which works very well, but for optimum speed I prefered a good helmsman in rough conditions or when running a spinnaker.

I have found the S&S 411 to be one of the best compromises for all around offshore sailing with a small crew.

13 January 2011 - 03:46
#25
Join Date: 11 January 2011
Posts: 18

Are you berthed in Auckland? Would love to have a look around your 41 as am looking at buying one myself

Cheers

Matt

14 January 2011 - 23:46
#26
Join Date: 10 December 2010
Posts: 23

Hi Matt,
We are in Whangarei at the Norsand Boatyard and are hauled out at the mement. A good time to see the whole boat, and you would be most welcome to come. Our email is listed on our website at www.sailproximity.com. Maybe we will see you soon! Rod

16 January 2011 - 19:55
#27
Join Date: 11 January 2011
Posts: 18

Thanks Rod, I am in Auckland but will make contact with you if I make a trip up North....hope your enjoying the weather...been a great summer so far!

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0