Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - New S&S Swan 41
25 May 2011 - 13:38

Hi Matt, yes they did the osmosis treatment and I am happy with their work. The price seemed reasonable but I didn't have much chance to look at alternatives, from this distance finding a yard I can trust and which has a good reputation was very important, when I then met the guys and saw their work, both on my boat and a larger Swan in their shed having the deck replaced, I was happy with the choice and since then they have been great. I'll let you know as the work gets closer to completion if it continues well as they might also be a good yard to recommend for those completing a Pacific crossing.
Andrew 41/039

31 December 2011 - 14:44

Hi Andrew,

I Have just come across the Swan Association website and was fascinated to read about Sophie B, the Swan 411 which competed in the '79 Fastnet.  I was navigator on Sophie B on this race and remember it all too well.  We first got an indication of heavy weather on the Sunday night shipping forecast and within an hour or two we were in the middle of it over the Labardie Bank in the Irish Sea.  The boat brought us through the storm safe and sound and without any real damage to yacht or most of the crew.  But one of the fordeck crew was injured when a wave swept him back against the port shrouds and he bruised his kidney.  We didn'y know the extent of his injuries at the time so we decided to put into Cork to get him to hospital asap.  I will always remember the waves the following morning.  They were enormous and I stood watching them at the helm to fix them in my mind.  I can still see them!

I would love to make contact with any other crew members or the current owner. 

06 January 2012 - 23:12

If you would like to post your contact details or email me them off line I'll b pleased to pass them on for you. Andrew

02 May 2013 - 21:26

Hi Andrew,

I Have just come across the Swan Association website and was fascinated to read about Sophie B, the Swan 411 which competed in the '79 Fastnet.  I was navigator on Sophie B on this race and remember it all too well.  We first got an indication of heavy weather on the Sunday night shipping forecast and within an hour or two we were in the middle of it over the Labardie Bank in the Irish Sea.  The boat brought us through the storm safe and sound and without any real damage to yacht or most of the crew.  But one of the fordeck crew was injured when a wave swept him back against the port shrouds and he bruised his kidney.  We didn'y know the extent of his injuries at the time so we decided to put into Cork to get him to hospital asap.  I will always remember the waves the following morning.  They were enormous and I stood watching them at the helm to fix them in my mind.  I can still see them!

I would love to make contact with any other crew members or the current owner. 

I believe my brother, Stephen Courtney, was on board Sophie B in the '79 Fastnet

28 March 2014 - 16:50

Wow. Bizarre. My brother and I have an offer in on the boat: great sea trials conducted this morning in Table Bay. Just waiting for the final report from the surveyor.

Hardly looks like she went through Fastnet '79. Here are some photos of her being lifted out for her hull survey today....

06 April 2014 - 04:43

Congratulations on the purchase of the boat. I have owned my 41 for nine years and love her. You will be very happy. My deck was redone in 2004 by the prior owner but the hatch is original and I am very happy with it. Depending on the condition, I don't see why you would replace it.

06 April 2014 - 04:46

Just realized that I was responding to a three year old post. If you are bidding on Scotch Bonnet, I am sure she is likely in fine shape but you should be aware of her eventful history. Do a google search, if you have not already.

06 April 2014 - 04:49

Strike two. Just realized you were talking about Sophie B, the 411. In the words of Emily Litella, "never mind."

06 April 2014 - 05:52

I'm very pleased to report "Scotch Bonnet" is pretty much back to full health. We just need to install a further 8 of the 9 Hella LED cabin lights, work out an attractive way of mounting a tall thin Origo stove in a space meant for short wide ones, and install the new Hella LED nav lights. Other work when time allows will be to re-leather the steering wheel and continue with varnishing. The one big job is to get the cabin table restored or rebuilt..... and then do some sailing!
Andrew "Scotch Bonnet" 41/039

Test sail with mast builder and sail maker

19 May 2014 - 11:28

Dear Andrew

Congratulation in getting "Scotch Bonnet" back together again.
Did you ever discover why the backstay insulators failed? I am asking because I inherited 4 insulators attached to the old rigging of "Trinket", my 41. I was thinking about reusing these to insulate the backstay with the possibility of installing an SSB radio. However I am now quite concerned, as I thought these insulators were absolutely foolproof, and even if the insulating material failed, the insulator could not come apart.At least this is what the manufacturers say!

best regards

Cosmo Little

22 May 2014 - 07:09

Dear Cosmo, dear Andrew,
I would be interested as well, in particular as there are other possibilities to rig an antenna, and I had problems with failing insulators before. However, I would suggest that this should open a new thread on backstay insulators. Searching for advice in the thread on a new 41 will be difficult ... even if Lars usually can point anyone to "the thread started on ...".
Best regards,
Martin

06 April 2018 - 06:19

Hi Philippe,

it took a few years but with our new front hatch perplex I now followed your suggestion and installed the same Protex fasteners. They fit perfectly and they close the hatch in a much more secure way than the previous solution. Installation is very easy because they can be adjusted after the installation. It will also be easy for our kids to use them.

Thank you,

Christian 411/028 IF

06 April 2018 - 11:35

Dear Christian,

Please can you advise where to obtain these fasteners?

Kind regards

Rob.

Sarabande 47/029

06 April 2018 - 15:53

Dear Rob,

the model is Protex (part nb 61-1610). I bought them via protex.com . There may be a cheaper source, so it is worth googling - I was a bit under time pressure.

Regards

Christian

06 April 2018 - 20:08

Dear Christian,

Many thanks, and have you made your own catchplates or are these also from Protex?

i imagine when open, they stick out further than when in the closed position?

Rob

07 April 2018 - 08:24

Hello everyone!

I will try to post the drawing of the catches I had made some years ago to go with the protex. Hoping they will be ok to read.

Kind regards.

Philippe 41/022

07 April 2018 - 08:59

Our catches look like on Philippe's drawing. We already had them on the previous perplex, and reused them on the new one. 

Regards,

Christian 411/028 IF

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0