Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Spreaders for 41
03 February 2012 - 19:34

Spreaders for 41

Dear all,

I have recently bought the love of my life,  a 41, Smile of Lymington. Since then I have spent an unreasonable ammount of time reading through ALL the information you post on your incredible forum site. It really is a fabulous place to find everything about anything.

So my question is,

Where can I source 1 lower, and 1 upper spreader for a tall rig 41?

(The mast was lying ashore on 4 supports, and during a storm ,120kn recorded, the mast was blown from the supports and landed on the spreaders).

I hope someone has been down this road before and can assist.

Thanks in anticipation,

Ian A.  41   045

03 February 2012 - 22:16

Dear Ian,

welcome to the Forum!

Mast, and spreaders of course, were Nautor made, so you are unlikely to find spare parts now. Try to ask Nautor, but I am quite sure they are not yet able to supply this piece of hardware. Try Franco Manzoli, owner of Flamenco, 41/012, maybe he could help. His address is: franco@velscaf.com .

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

04 February 2012 - 10:47

Ian
There is a shop where you can get them made. Requires that you send the damaged ones as templates, or provide good drawings.
Kind regards
Lars

04 February 2012 - 20:48

Dear Matteo,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I contacted Nautor , and as you suggested, they are no longer available.

It looks like my next move should be to contact Franco.

Thanks for your advice.

Ian A.

04 February 2012 - 22:08

Dear Lars,

Thank you for your reply.

You mentioned a shop that could manufacture.

Is this company in Europe?  I can make up drawings, but I was wondering if a local company could manufacture. Is the material a high tensile, marine quality aluminium? I want the new spreaders to be an exact replica.

The information you contribute to the forum appears unlimited.

Thanks again,

Ian A.

04 February 2012 - 22:22

Dear Ian,

they call Lars "The Professor" because he knows everything about Swans, be sure if he suggests a Company it means this company is able to get you the best of the best, which by the way is what our boats deserve!

:-)

Fair winds!

Matteo (38/067 Only You)

05 February 2012 - 17:18

Ian
The recommended shop is in Europe
Here some suggestions for local manufacture.
The shop should have experience with welding of seawater resistant alloys, and know which alloys retain most of their strength when welded. The ears at the mast end need to be of such an alloy.
The spreaders should be anodized to 1 mil (0.001 inch) thickness natural colour and the process include sealing. Alloys and filler materials to be chosen so there is no surprising discolouring caused by the anodizing
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1