Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Swan 40 - Spinnaker
29 March 2007 - 11:38

Swan 40 - Spinnaker

Dear friends,

Has anyone got the original measurements for the spinnaker for a Swan 40 and perhaps any recommendations when purchasing a new one?

Any input regarding the mounting and use of a gennaker on an old S&S would be appreciated as well.

Regards

Niels

04 April 2007 - 21:15

Neils,

I ve used an asymetric for years now and it is an important part of cruising sail wardrobe. It is in a launching sock which makes the whole business easy. I ve done large part of down wind atlantic crossings with that sail alone - it is such a relief to have a quiet loose footed sail which simply swings as the boat wallows downwind, put away the main with all that creaking! They are also great fun with the wind on the beam . We attach the tack on a metre length strop anywhere - toerail, amidships where ever it suits, and experiment with tack and halyard tensions. I would not go below 1 oz cloth.

best

Rob Mably

08 June 2007 - 23:07

Hi Neils,

I've a 40, #44, and have recently purchased an asymetric from Hyde Sails.  This is 102 m2 in 0.9oz cloth - smaller than the full size runner at 130m2 but way easier to set, gybe and drop.  I run an adjustable 2:1 tackline inside the pulpit, with the bottom block and becket shackled to a dyneema strop passed around the forestay and bow roller.  Tackline is led aft to a small winch mounted on the coachroof by the companionway.  Tackline is long enough to drop kite into companionway if neccessary, though is usually dropped into forehatch.

I fly the assy on the tackline only when cruising, but use after guys and pole when racing - this enables the tack of the asymmetric to be poled back when needing to run deep.  Keep adjusting the tackline for windstrength and apparent angle - keep tack close to top of pulpit when the wind comes forward but let tackline off as wind comes aft allowing luff to rotate to windward.

Cheers,

Stuart

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1