Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Carbon rigging
10 February 2012 - 23:14

Carbon rigging
Has anyone had any experience of, or considered replacing the Nautor alloy rig with a Carbon rig?

13 February 2012 - 00:35

A friend of mine did get quotes on putting a carbon rig into his Swan 47 CB which was called Sleeper at the time. The costs looked very high.
I think our boats carry the weight of their rigs well but I have to think that if Olin was designing them now, then they would have carbon for the improvement in righting moment and the reduction in pitching. Someone described the effect to me for a 47 as the same as having an 80kg man halfway up the mast or having three extra people on the weather rail. The next question is whether or not you then go for a taller rig but then you start getting questions on structures as you increase the loads.
I would be interested in the professor's view on this subject.
Gavin

14 February 2012 - 08:29

Robmably and Gavin
The recommended comparison method is to get the carbon mast builder's weight and CG estimate, and then calculate the influence on flotation and stability, and finally run IMS test certificates for the yacht with original and new rig. This results in detailed VPP:s for both. This can also be presented as a comparison of elapsed times or boat lengths ahead over a specific course.
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 1