Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Tiller Bearing Replacement
16 February 2012 - 22:44

Tiller Bearing Replacement
Dear enthousiasts,

my Swan 36 has tiller steering. The bearings seem to have worn out (at least the upper ones), as there is slight loosenes in the steering (the contact to the rudder is not quite precise and steering pressure is hard to sense).

How would you recommend proceeding regarding replacing the bearings? And where do I find proper spare parts for the job?

Best rgs

Aleksi

17 February 2012 - 19:15

Dear Aleksi
The rudder needs to be dropped for accessing the bearing sleeves. There is a heel piece at the lower end of the stock, held by screws through the skeg. See the Maintenance Section for skeg rudder removal instructions.
The reason for the looseness you report needs to be found out.
Have you asked the yard about new sleeves?
Kind regards
Lars

18 February 2012 - 12:31

Dear Professor,

thank you for the reply. I will contact Swan about the bearings, once it becomes evident that the problem is there. Do you think it is possible to access the upper bearings without removing the rudder or the stock? Removing the rudder feels slightly challenging. Maybe it is wisest to have the repair done by someone professional.

Best
Aleksi

18 February 2012 - 18:40

Aleksi
The top bearing should be visible at the upper end of the rudder stock casing, just below the tiller. It is likely that this bearing is the least worn.
It is suggested that you send photos of problem areas. Skilled repair guy available if you need help.
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0