Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - SWAN 40 ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTS
03 April 2007 - 13:09
#1
Join Date: 01 February 2007
Posts: 57

SWAN 40 ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTS

I am fitting completely new electronics to my boat.    I often sail solo so would like as much information as possible in the cockpit.       My idea at the moment is chart plotter/radar screen on top of the binnacle and a separate laptop at the chart table.    I also need the best autopilot that money can buy.     Can other Swan owners tell me about their experience with different brands of electronics ?    The manufacturers all promise miracles but I would like to hear about reality.    On the Swan 40 physical space is an issue because there are a limited number of places for fitting instruments where they are visible and easy to read.    All contributions and personal experiences (good or bad) will be very welcome.  

Thanks, Richard Forrest

20 April 2007 - 10:57
#2
Join Date: 02 March 2007
Posts: 10

Hi Richard

On our swan 431 we have the Autohelm 7000 autopilot.
We bought the boat 10 years ago and we have replaced the cockpit control, otherwise the A/P just works perfectly.
It has an electric motor under the pedestal and connected to the wheel shaft with its own chain. The motor is powerful and the system is very simple and reliable.

Regards,
Jens Anker

08 June 2007 - 22:51
#3
Join Date: 05 February 2007
Posts: 7

Hi Richard,

I've opted for Tacktick micronet wireless instruments when replacing older instruments on my S&S Swan 40.  I've gone for speed/depth/wind /compass and GPS via the std hull transmitter and NMEA wireless transmitter.  The latter interfaces to existing Raymarine radar/chart plotter and ICOM DSC VHF, and eventually (soon!) to a laptop running MaxSea with performance & routing modules.

Going wireless saves routing new cables through the hull & headlining, with the exception of power supply to the hull and NMEA wireless transmitters.  There's also less power demand on the batteries as the displays are solar powered.  I use a couple of remote handhelds - good graphical trend pages showing wind angle and wnd speed oscilations, along with multifunction bulkhead dual displays, and have been waiting for the recently launched maxi's which I plan to mount on the mast.  Wireless displays saved me a packet on professional instalation costs.

I've used B&G h1000 previously on a Mumm 30 - had many reliability problems.  Hydra's good but expensive.  I also crew on a Swan 44 which uses Silva (now Nexus) instruments.  These are good too and I believe Nexus also now offer a cheaper wireless alternative.

Hope this helps . . .

Stuart

 

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0