Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Water tanks for 43 need service
20 April 2012 - 15:17

Water tanks for 43 need service

Hi all,

I have taken two of my three water tanks out because when I inspected the insides, I saw that someone had applied some sort of caulk to the seams.  I need to first remove any material other than stainless and thoroughly clean the tanks and secondly, test the tanks.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Mabel's Casse Tete 003 43

24 April 2012 - 04:44

Chris:

To do any work inside the Swan 43 st. stl water tank is difficult.  The only access will be through the round inspection port at the top of the tank.  I was only able to get my arm inside to wipe clean my tank with a sponge.  Trying to remove any sealant from the inside is going to be difficult and you will probably not be able to get 100% of the sealant out.  I do not think sealant on the weld joints are a standard detail from Nautor.

Why can't you pressurize the tank and see where the leaks are and just patch them from the outside?

Hiro

Swan 43 "Hiro Maru"

24 April 2012 - 15:58

Hi Hiro,

How are you?  It's been a while since we last corresponded - I hope you are well.

I agree, sealant in a ss water tank is a BAD idea and not mine!  Two of the three tanks are removed and, as you say, access is difficult.  I have a marine welder who can pressure check the tanks and weld as necessary, however, I don't want to do anything until I remove the sealant.  I have done some research but have not yet found a good solution.  I will keep looking and report back.

On a separate topic, with GREAT help from the Professor (and the patience of a saint), I am almost finished building my new rudder.  With any luck, or no more mistakes, I should finish this weekend or early next week.  I have pictures and plan a blog which should allow me to post any relevant information on this forum and in the maintenance section.

With warm regards,

Chris

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0