Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Remedy for toerail corrosion?
24 April 2012 - 12:22

Remedy for toerail corrosion?

Dear Fellow Swan Owners,

Like many vintage swans, Anthea, our 1977 Swan 41, has pit corrosion along the midships portion of the toerail and galvanic corrosion around some of the bolts.  Replacing the toerail is not an option.  I am wondering how best to arrest the corrosion without removing the toerail.  I have read the prior posts on this topic.  It seems that painting is not an optimal solution; brush on annodizing is not practical or feasible, which leaves the option of applying nanocoat, a clear coating that must however be applied about once every season. 

I have recently come across another product, Nyalic, which is also a clear coating, but one that will last several seasons.  In response to my query, company representatives have recommended the Nyalic Marine Kit for this application.

At this point I am planning on applying Nyalic later this summer.  But first, I wanted to ask if any other swan owners have had experience with this product.  Secondly, I am wondering if there other good options that I may have missed for arresting this time of corrosion?

Thanks and Happy Sailing,

Mark

26 April 2012 - 20:46

Dear Mark
Galvanic corrosion around the screws can be stopped and small crevices hidden by adding plastic washers that prevent screw to rail contact, and cover an area around the screw head. The washers also lift the heads above the surface and keep them drier. The screws need to be taken out individually and the washers added, a tedious job.
Enclosed a sketch.
This is a proposal and I do not know a supplier.
Kind regards Lars

27 April 2012 - 12:56

Dear Mark,
a second suggestion to what Lars' recommends might be trying a liberal application of Duralac - available from all good riggers it acts as a prevention barrier between two dissimilar metals and is widely used as a prevention barrier when fixing fittings of differing metal to aluminium spars.
Hope this helps, Best regards, Brian, Seamróige, S36/021

27 April 2012 - 14:06

Dear Mark

I have produced very good results with the good old original norwegian Owatrol oil. (see www.owatrol.com).Easy to handle and finding every way into the smallest hole. It is my favorite choice for all metals, grp etc. when I have difficult problems. It shields, cleans, polishes and is long lasting. It´s a must in the paint locker. See also other product of that company which we can use on our boats. For me it is the third way parallel to acrylic and DD solutions.

regards

Jan

Kalliope 38/085

• Threads : 1707
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0