Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Cruising sail on a 47
02 June 2012 - 04:44

Cruising sail on a 47
i recently bought a 47 nyyc this is my second swan as I had 40 bought by my father in 1976 which i sold in 1999.

Question for lars and 47 owners and all others?

i have the usual cruising genoa at 135 lpg and the staysai with roller furling. I would like to have a sail in between the Genoa and the staysail for better sailing in stronger wind area like the aegean sea or north atlantic

what is the best sail between
- a smaller high clew smaller genoa at 120 110 lpg
- a jib number 3
- an old style yankee

Thank you
Filippo Masci
Tortuga swan 47

02 June 2012 - 14:53

Dear Filippo
Good to hear that you like these yachts
I would suggest that your question also should be passed to a sailmaker, maybe Guido on this Forum would be kind enough to give his opinions?

You mention the prefix NYYC in connection with your yacht, strictly speaking this is not quite correct, although brokers seem to use these letters liberally to create the impression of a special edition.
Only four Swan 47s were built to the NYYC 48 specification and originally sold to members of the famous yacht club, they are hulls number 024, 025, 026, and 027. Basically they are Swan 47s with centerboard keel, interior version II and aft entrance, as well as longer boom E=18' and longer pole JC=21'.

There are some other Swan 47s built to the same specification, but in the yard notation they are 47s with certain optionals.
Your yacht differs a little because the mast length is 60', i.e. 2' shorter, and the pole is 19.8'.
Best regards
Lars

04 June 2012 - 19:54

i recently bought a 47 nyyc this is my second swan as I had 40 bought by my father in 1976 which i sold in 1999. Question for lars and 47 owners and all others? i have the usual cruising genoa at 135 lpg and the staysai with roller furling. I would like to have a sail in between the Genoa and the staysail for better sailing in stronger wind area like the aegean sea or north atlantic what is the best sail between - a smaller high clew smaller genoa at 120 110 lpg - a jib number 3 - an old style yankee Thank you Filippo Masci Tortuga swan 47

Filippo:

I don't know if the results scale up, but I have a 411, and I bought her with minimal sails, the genoa was a 135, heavy North Norlam, and I found it too big for half the time, and a pain to tack, so I wanted something smaller, ended up getting a 100%, or #3 - but after sailing with that for 2 summers, I found it a bit small and leaving me underpowered, so end of last year I bought myself a 120, which I expect to fly all summer this year, and it should be perfect.

Fair winds,

Geoff
Corazon, 411 #41

05 June 2012 - 23:16

Dear Filippo
Good to hear that you like these yachts
I would suggest that your question also should be passed to a sailmaker, maybe Guido on this Forum would be kind enough to give his opinions?

You mention the prefix NYYC in connection with your yacht, strictly speaking this is not quite correct, although brokers seem to use these letters liberally to create the impression of a special edition.
Only four Swan 47s were built to the NYYC 48 specification and originally sold to members of the famous yacht club, they are hulls number 024, 025, 026, and 027. Basically they are Swan 47s with centerboard keel, interior version II and aft entrance, as well as longer boom E=18' and longer pole JC=21'.

There are some other Swan 47s built to the same specification, but in the yard notation they are 47s with certain optionals.
Your yacht differs a little because the mast length is 60', i.e. 2' shorter, and the pole is 19.8'.
Best regards
Lars

Dear Lars,
This is my third boat: the first was a swan 40 from 1972 bought by my father in 1976. this swan i have sailed with my young brothers and later with my wife and 4 daughters from 1976 to 1999. the second boat was silk a bashford howinson 41 (an early modern and very strongly built design that come 3/4 years before the swan 45) silk is famous for the nose diving picture taken iby Beken n the solent during the britannia cup it is also past winner of cowes week round irland race giraglia rolex cup tregolfi and the mediterranean offshore trophy .

now i bought this 47 for cruising and offshore sailing as i do not plan much racing as in the past and I come back to family sailing.

Thank you very much for the clarification of the swan 47 and its relationship with new york yacht club. I willl ask Guido and some other sailmakers

I had the honour to lead Nautor Swan as Ceo and worked hard to restore and improve the culture of quality and boat building which I found weak compared to other world class yard. But unfortunatelly I could not get on with the current Nautor owner.

if you do not mind I will bother you as I get to know the boat and may have some technical questions

Regards
Filippo Masci

05 June 2012 - 23:21

Filippo:

I don't know if the results scale up, but I have a 411, and I bought her with minimal sails, the genoa was a 135, heavy North Norlam, and I found it too big for half the time, and a pain to tack, so I wanted something smaller, ended up getting a 100%, or #3 - but after sailing with that for 2 summers, I found it a bit small and leaving me underpowered, so end of last year I bought myself a 120, which I expect to fly all summer this year, and it should be perfect.

Fair winds,

Geoff
Corazon, 411 #41

Dear Geof,

Thank you for your suggestion . I will think about the 120 lpg let me know it work for you.

06 June 2012 - 21:02

Dear Filippo
Answering questions is a pleasure when I am able to help.
Best regards
Lars

27 June 2012 - 13:00

Filippo my compliments to you, Tortuga is one of the most beautiful 47. In case you mean by staysail the trinchetta with roller furling, is not this enough?
I am now in the North Aegean and the trinchetta, which stays on hanks, works beautifully until 25-30 kts, tacking not very close. I do not need to reef the main.
I have an old genoa about 135 and electric reefer, and I am thinking to ask, probably to Guido, a new Genoa 150 with high tack.
I keep the bag with the staysail and its sheet ready in a bag fixed forward the mast. Did you install the roller reefing for the trinchetta? I do not remember it on Tortuga, last time I saw it...
Fair winds, Filippo!

11 September 2016 - 11:39

Dear Geof, Thank you for your suggestion . I will think about the 120 lpg let me know it work for you.

Dear Geoff (corazon)

did you buy the 120lpg genoa? Do you have some picture or rendering of the sail?

Thank you filippo 

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0