Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - New Rudder
07 June 2012 - 22:24

New Rudder

All,

When I purchased my Swan 43, the previous owner told me that the rudder was delaminated and possibly water logged.  At that time, I planned to drain the water, patch the rudder and use the boat for a season before attempting any major repairs.  When I examine the rudder, it became clear to me that the rudder was in dire need of help.

In the end, with the constant guidance from the Professor, we decided to build a new rudder.  The Professor was gracious and magnanimous with his time and offered to design a "modified new" rudder.  I think the design is both beautiful and a perfect match for the boat!  Of course, having never built a rudder, or anything like this, I will say that I was not the best student the Professor has ever had so I must also commend his incredible patience! 

In addition to the design, the Professor provided complete construction information (and answered every conceivable question from me - somtimes the same question multiple time!)

I learned more than I could have imagined and thoroughly enjoed every mistake I made - I hope the Professor enjoyed the process as much!

Please see the pics below.

Thanks,

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003

07 June 2012 - 22:52

Additional Pics: 

1.  New Rudder Stock Straps

2. G-flex trailing edge

3:  Initial test-fit

07 June 2012 - 22:58

Additional Rudder Pics:

1:  Rudder and new lower skeg

2:  Rudder - stern view

3:  Rudder - Starboard side view

I recognized that this series of pics will not be very helpful to anyone who wants to build  a new rudder, so, I plan to organize my correspondence with the Professor and related pictures and post that on a blog I plan to build.  I should be able to take this information and place it in the maintenance section of this site as well.  I am going slowly so please bear with me. 

Thanks to the Professor, the steering on Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003 is great!

Chris

08 September 2012 - 18:25

Does this rudder design help with the very active steering of the 43. S & S sent me several rudder and skeg designs to deal with this problem. I am interested in the professor's solution as well.

Charlie
Freya 43-08

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0