Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - AirHead Composting Head
08 June 2012 - 17:23

AirHead Composting Head

Dear Group,

Is the installation of an AirHead composting Head anathema n a Swan?

We are serioulsy thinking about making the change and would love to hear opinions.

Thank you.

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003

21 June 2012 - 03:30

Chris,

I removed my holding tank today and will install a composting head ( haven't decided which one yet) on REBECCA my 43. Have you made a decision? If you plan to is it the Air Head?

John

21 June 2012 - 13:18

Hi John,
Yes, my plan is to install the Airhed. I think the Airhead and Nature's Head are basically comparable but prefer the Airhead because: it looks a little better, neither is beautiful; and because it was the first of two that are basically the same units. having said that, the Airhead seems to have a little trouble with delivery; last I spoke with the owner, he said it was a month wait. Nature's head is available immediately. So, if I don't plan well, I could end up with a Nature's head!

I like the idea of a composting head for several reasons. Having lived aboard on two different boats, and having visited friends boats during those times and others, my wife and I value a clean-smelling boat. I think one could build a sufficient holding tank arangement, using top of the line materials and fresh water, but then you have the issue of constantly visiting the pump out station. So, we are probably going to try the composting head for convenience and lack of smell.

My fingers are crossed!

Chris 43/003

08 September 2012 - 18:19

I installed an airhead on my 43 nine years ago and enjoyed junking the holding tank and eliminating the seacock. It was good move. How many boats smell of their holding tank or have to go out of their way to find a pump-out station (or dump illegally)? Who wants to carry a tank of septic sea water?

The airhead is an "elegant" solution. Solids are reduced about 90% in volume to potting soil provided the air flow is maintained and stirred occasionally. Liquids are handled separately and dumping the two gallon pee pot is the most disagreeable part of having an air head. Installation was easy. The air exhaust hose was directed across the overhead to the deck dorade. Power usage for the fan is about .08 amps or a solar vent could be used. Abandon the seacock! I dump the solids once a year at spring commissioning. Dumping the pee pot depends on the number of users and how much the drink but is once every couple of days for my wife and myself.

Negatives are small compared to the positives. Number one is emptying the pee pot. Developing a small holding tank and a pump system is a project of mine. My seat is uncomfortably small for big men but more recent airheads have an elongated seat. I wish the whole unit was bigger and had greater capacity for more people. It is scaled for only a few people and smaller boats. Never leave the lid up or you will have bugs very quickly - I know about this. Smell is that of earthy potting soil, is minimal and only when the tide puts my stern to the wind and blows down the deck dorade and overwhelms the fan.

I would buy it again without a second thought.

Charlie

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1