Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Running Backstays for 43
20 July 2012 - 17:10

Running Backstays for 43

Dear All,

My 1969 43 has running backstays set up and I am wondering if this is an original configuration or, if for some reason, one of the previous owners added them. 

All thoughts are appreciated.

Fair Winds

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003 

22 July 2012 - 21:21

Chris:
I do not believe running back stays were original to the rig design.
Hiro

23 July 2012 - 15:56

Hi Hiro,

Congratulations on your Bermuda Race - I raced my Tartan 41 in the 1989 Marion to Bermuda Race and I know it can be grueling.  Glad you and your crew made it home safely.

My boat has many changes that may or may not be improvements.  Running backstays can be a real nuissance.

If you have the opportunity and are willing, could you send me a picture of your bow fitting to show me how the chocks are installed and a pciture of the cockpit near the steering wheel on either side. 

With warm regards,

Chris

03 August 2012 - 23:03

Hi Chris:

Attached are some photos you requested. I will try to get a better set this weekend for you.
Regards,
Hiro

03 August 2012 - 23:37

Hi Hiro,

Thank you.

I can see that the bow and cockpit setup is different in our boats.  Yes, I would appreciate additional pictures but please do not inconvenience yourself.  I need to make changes soon to the bow but the cockpit will be a project for the winter.

With warm regards,

Chris

12 August 2012 - 01:31

Chris,

Here are three photos of REBECCA. If you need anything specific photos let me know.

John

13 August 2012 - 19:58

Hi John,

Thank you for posting the pictures.  I am specifically looking for pictures of the bow roller and chocks; my boat does not have any chocks at all and I need to add them.  Secondly, I can see from your cockpit pictures  that the teak on the  cockpit seats extends past the steering pedestal back to the aft seat.  Mine do not and I am trying to get closer to the original.  If you have have additional pictures that show off these components, I would appreciate it.

With warem regards,

Chris

14 August 2012 - 21:11

Chris:

Attached are more photos of the cockpit and foredeck.

Regards,

Hiro

15 August 2012 - 14:15

Hi Hiro,

Thank you for posting the pictures of your boat.  Very helpful.  I do not have the chocks you and John show on your bows, so I will need to install a set, and my cockpit has been re-configured in a way that I do not like. 

Unfortunately, as I have been working on my deck, I have found that a second layer of teak had been laid on top of what might be the original layer of teak decking, which is totally saturated.  So, the entire deck must come up.

With warm regards,

Chris

16 August 2012 - 05:32

Chris,

Here are a few more photos. My cockpit arrangement looks similar to Hiro's. I'm planning to have a new anchor roller fabricated as this one has a couple of hair line cracks and appears to be bending downward. I will use the same pattern but have it made a wee bit heavier.

BTW, did you buy the new composting head yet?

John

16 August 2012 - 18:49

Hi John,

Thank you for posting pictures - they are very helpful.  You and Hiro have beautiful boats, indeed.

One day, I may join you, but for now I am grappling with the structural and necessary.  Sometimes I wonder what I got myself into.

With regard to the composting head, no, not yet.  I wish I needed it, but alas, I have struggled with several recent issues boatwise that make trips impossible.  The first is the engine.  After re-wiring the gauges and cutting away the 8-pin connectors for the wiring harness, which was totaly corroded and which I thought was the cause of my engine starting while on the hard with no one aboard, I switched on the battery and the engine jumped to life - no key!  So, I have ordered an entire new harness, panel with gauges and senders from Transatlantic Diesel and will install that.  I hope that solves the engine problem.

The other surprise I found recently was the installation of the teak deck; the installer laid it down on top of what is likely the original deck, which is totally water-logged.  The big surprise is not that I have to replace the deck, I figured that into the purchase price, but that anyone could be so sloppy with work.

So, until I get the boat in working form, not beautiful mind you, I don't need a head!

Chris

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0