Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Deck hardware on 43
27 July 2012 - 20:10

Deck hardware on 43
I have 9 diamond shaped pads with threaded eyes and threaded plugs mounted on deck. I have several of these that are leaking. The leak comes from the composite wood plugs (Tufnol, I believe) at the base of each threaded hole. Welding a plate over the hole is the only idea to seal them I've come up with. Has anyone else had to deal with this and what did you do to solve the problem? I'm quite sure these were original deck hardware.

Thanks, John/

REBECCA

29 July 2012 - 09:21

John
Rather surprising if these deck fittings are without welded bottom plates, and it would be advisable to add these.
Suggest the appearance of the lower ends is checked, are there signs of being cut?
Kind regards
Lars

30 July 2012 - 15:32

Hi John,

I have removed several of mine due to severe water intrusion.  I know that the the backing plates on at least 2 of the deck hardware fittings are not original - they were made of aluminum.  In one case, the aluminum had deteriorated so badly that it fell off  in pieces when I pulled on it.

I plan to cut out the teak-decking around the suspect areas and see what's up - and, of course, ask the professor for advice!

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003

30 July 2012 - 16:25

Lars,
Thank you for this information. My REBECCA has had her teak deck removed and I'm sure the fittings have been cut as you suggest. I'll remove them all and have plates welded to each. You're the "Google" of Swans!! Thanks.
John

06 August 2012 - 05:53

My 2 cents worth:  I had the same diamond-shaped padeyes with phenolic at the bottom - they leaked.  They had phenolic blanks to fill the hole when the eye was not needed.  I used sikaflex to seal the blanks in frustration on one passage and they still leaked.  In my case the water was coming in from under the teak deck and not down inside the fitting itself, so plugging the bottom would not have stopped the leaks.  I went out and bought folding padeyes which do not require a 1" hole in the deck as well as the 4 screws, I plugged all the holes in the f.g deck, I replaced the teak deck (it was over-due) and now - no leaks (well, not from there anyway!)   David  43/12 

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 1