Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Vang/Kicker
23 August 2012 - 11:45

Vang/Kicker
I have a Swan 38 with the original rope/block kicker which I would like to replace with a hydraulic vang
Any thoughts and advice would be very welcome
Many Thanks
Tom
Pandra
38/111

25 August 2012 - 09:54

Dear Tom
A Navtec -10 vang is suitable for normal use. A hydraulic control panel is required in the cockpit unless you already have one, and you have to make sure that the mast and boom attachments are strong enough. In case it is the original boom the integrated track needs reinforcement.
The panel has a relief valve preventing overload, but pls note that the panel selector valve has to be in position VANG for the relief valve to protect this function in broaching conditions.
There are many details needing attention in connection with the installation, pls feel free to ask.
Kind regards
Lars

25 August 2012 - 11:01

Dear Lars
Very many thanks for your prompt and helpful reply.
Perhaps I used the wrong expression - hydraulic - with all the equipment and controls that go with it
What I had in mind was a simple manual vang with a line leading back for adjustment whilst sailing - and which will hold the boom up when the sail is lowered
Sorry for the confusion
Kind regards
Tom

P.S. I have just had a new teak deck laid by two guys in North Wales - one of them apprenticed in Camper & Nicholson many years ago. They did a brilliant job - on time and to budget - at half the price of anyone in the South.

26 August 2012 - 20:07

Tom:

I have used Hall Spars (USA, Rhode Island) Quick Vangs before - they are spring loaded, with 4:1 block and tackle for compression - jamming cleats, etc. They work very well although they're not hydraulic. I am pretty sure they have one that will handle the loads on the 38. I recall paying around $500.00 US back in 2002 for one in this size range.

Best of Luck, and Fair Winds,

Gepff
Corazon, 411 #41

27 August 2012 - 14:54

Tom:

Also look at Garhauer for their stainless steel vang. I have one on my 43 for the last 12 years and has been absolutely bullet proof. See maintenance section of Swan 43 on this web site for info.

Regards,

Hiro

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0