Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Emergency Tiller
18 September 2012 - 14:08

Emergency Tiller

Hi all

I'd like to obtain or manufacture an emergency tiller for my 36.

Anyone know if and where I might be able to purchase one?

Failing that, does anyone have any experience manufacturing an emergency tiller? I guess it would involve pairing some kind of socket wrench with a suitable lever...

Thanks

Olle

24 September 2012 - 16:26

Hello, I am sorry I cannot help on this one, not knowing the 36.
But this gives me the opportunity to recommend that everyone should try their emergency tiller before they really need to use it. On our dear 41/022 Soeur Anne, I had to cut about 10cm of it as it was too long to escape the backstay despite the fact that she had been sailing for 7 years before our acquisition...! (The emergency tiller is working in reverse).
In any case drawing an emergency tiller should not be complicated after the dimensions of the square end of the rudder axle have been measured.
fair winds.
Philippe.

24 September 2012 - 17:44

I would second Philippe's words.

Whilst not on a Swan, I was deliverying a yacht and had a diesel spill below; we changed course to go into Weymouth as down below had become too slippery, just after changing course at around 23:00 in a F6 the stearing cable broke. 

Getting the emergency tiller out, it wouldnt fit becasue it had corroded and where it fitted over the stock, was too big due to corrosion.

An embaressed call to the RNLI and a two hour tow into Weymouth later we were safe and sound.

Could have been a lot worse!

We now check ours on Tiderace at the start of every season.  Hears hoping we will never need it!

Cheers

Adrian

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0