Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Searching for a steering wheel shaft bushing 1973 Swan44
23 April 2013 - 00:41

Searching for a steering wheel shaft bushing 1973 Swan44
For anyone that could help with this, I would be greatly appreciative!
I am trying to find a nylon bushing for the steering wheel assembly and cannot find the manufacture or markings on the pedestal to indicate a type. this was likely painted over long ago. the original manual references an Assembly drawing 1-15-237.

this steering assembly has a side brake and steering wheel shaft that passes straight through the pedestal and the end of the shaft rests in a nylon bushing as shown in the attached picture. it seems as though this bushing has worn over the years and due to some slop between it and the shaft, it allows the wheel to move around.

if anyone has an idea where i can get a replacement bushing, i would be very grateful. i have checked mcmaster carr but no luck. the id is approximately 1 9/16", od is 1 15/16", and length is 1 1/4" with a flange on it.

nylon bearing partially removed from the steering wheel shaft end cap

23 April 2013 - 02:48

I had the steering shaft bushing on my Swan 43 replaced. The bushing had to be custom machined. It was not expensive. As long as you have the original as a sample it should be pretty easy to get replicated. Mine was done by Jamestown Boat Yard in Jamestown, Rhode Island here in the USA.

Hiro

23 April 2013 - 07:58

Dear Cdagnew3,

please be sure about the material you are using for the bushing, as I don't think nylon is the right choice. Delrin is what it is usually adopted.

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

23 April 2013 - 08:19

Dear Cdagnew3
These bushings were custom made by the yard, and you can still ask for replacement from
spareparts@nautors-swan.com.
In case you prefer to have it locally made pls note that nylon is NOT a suitable material, it swells due to to moisture absorbtion. The recommended material is named POM.
Kind regards
Lars

PS
As usual Matteo was faster...

25 April 2013 - 20:47

Fabulous, thank you all! I will see what Nautor parts comes back with on a cost, but if they stock the part that will be great!

• Threads : 1704
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 2