Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Perko Raw Water Intake Strainer
24 April 2013 - 13:15

Perko Raw Water Intake Strainer

Dear All,

Yesterday I took a break from the deck to run the engine for the first time this season; when I opened the seacock, water gushed from the strainer.  This is the Perko type that has top and bottom held in place with 4 rods.  Three of the 4 were corroded and broke off easily as did the drain plug.  Replacement parts are half the cost of a new one!

I can fabricate the rods easily enough but not that quickly; what type of strainer is recommended these days.  I see that Groco is a lot cheaper and also cast bronze.  Any suggestions?  refurbish or replace?  Type?

Thanks,

Chris

24 April 2013 - 15:05

Hi Chris:

Yes these things do happen after awhile.

I have a Groco unit with removable screw on cap and monel strainer basket. The unit came with the boat back in 1998.

If you compare the Perko to the Groco you will notice that the Groco unit uses multiple machine screws to attach the acrylic casing flange to the upper bronze head unit.

I would replace the strainer with a new unit (Groco or Pwrko) and re-build the old unit for a spare. You will sleep better knowing the unit is new.

Also remember that in an emergency you can by-pass the stariner with a hose coupling and run the raw water hose directly to the engine. Obviously you have to be careful so the engine does not ingest any debris but for emergency engine use it will work fine.

Best regards,

Hiro

24 April 2013 - 18:26

Dear Hiro,

You make a good comment about sleep!  After having replaced all of my seacocks for safety reasons, I feel a little silly about not having done a better job of examining the strainer!  When I opened the seacock, I was truly surprised.  Last night, I successfully removed 1 of the 4 brass rods - the other three were corroded.  Not very comforting.

So, now to decide what the next step is.  And time counts.  So...I like the design of the Groco and may go that way.

I will post again and update the status.  I need it by Saturday!

Thanks again.

Chris

29 April 2013 - 16:58

Dear Members,

I decided to purchase a new Groco raw water strainer.  I liked the design and I was able to install it quickly - engine is running!  My decision was based upon several factors, including Hiro's valuable input, and I wanted to related a story that also helped me decide. 

I spoke with a Groco technical advisor who knew my Perko water strainer, and although he did recommend his own, he was so gracious to the point of suggesting an option for repairing my Perko strainer.  So, I bought his, and will repair the original Perko.  Good, honest people do more for their companies than any hard sell!  Perko reps were also gracious, so no knock on them.

I pan to purchase bronze rod and thread the ends - should be fairly easy and I will have a top quality back-up - which I hope not to use!

Chris

10 June 2013 - 17:08

Dear All,

I cleaned the the Perko strainer this week and threaded bronze rods to fit.  i also replaced the cast acrylic cylinder.  I purchased the parts from McMaster-Carr and used a Sear tap and die set.

Here are pictures for those interested.  I can provide further specs if desired.

Fair Winds and dry hulls

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003

Strainerench Parts on workb

36 inch 1/4 inch bronze rod with one end threaded

Strainer complete

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 3