Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Repowering a 37
26 April 2013 - 23:21

Repowering a 37

Hi guys,

So the good news is we are going to buy a new engine for our Swan 37. We have a lot of other work to do first but we are in Lanzarote and it can take a while to organise some things here so I would like to order one soon.

I belive the boat originally had a Volvo D2 which was 15hp, Does anyone know if this sounds correct?
Has anyone else replaced an engine on thier 37? Any tips? Brands and size that fits best?

As always any advice will be greatly appreciated

Fletch

02 May 2013 - 07:32

Fletch,

If you are going for Volvo Penta, the D1-30 engine would be the best fit.
http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/c_diesel_inboard/enginerange/Pages/d1_30.aspx

If Yanmar, the 3YM30 would also fit,but as I have heard it requires a more tailored installation.
http://us.yanmar.com/products/marine-engines/sailboats/ym/3ym30/

Both engines are good. If I was to choose today, I would go with the Yanmar.

Brgds

Carsten

Swan 37 Bnr 18

03 May 2013 - 15:01

Just one thought, the original waterlock will not be at all adequate for the HP of your new engine. Take care over this as you can easily ruin an expensive new engine with an ill thought out water lock/ exhauste system.
We use a Vetus NPL50s waterock now on our SWan 38,..

regards,

Patrick

09 May 2013 - 13:43

Hey Guys,

Good info, Thanks!

I was hopoing for a Yanmar but I am measuring the space in the boat and it doesnt seem close to fitting. The volvo also doesnt look like it will fit. They are both too wide.

It also seems like I will have to remove the old engine bed and put in a new one.

I have seen Swan 37s for sale with 3ym30 engines so it must be possible but im just wondering if I need to modify the engine box. The new engine beds are a lot of work but easy enough to do but I would really like to keep the original engine cover at least.

Any more info would be a huge help.

Fletch

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0