Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Repowering swan 44
27 April 2013 - 06:11

Repowering swan 44
Hi to every one. I want to ask if some one try to change perkins 4108 to Lister petter alpha 40 sailboat, i just learn about because i have a good price on this engine and i think this engine in IDI version will be good change for 4108. in one hand i have 4108 wich i rebild last year and its nothing wrong with it, but i want to fit bigger alternator and serpantine pulleys, and change all wires, on enother hand i have new engine with new gearbox and panels for extra 3k usd if i sale mine.

I want to say also Big Thank for Lars for his advise about keel bolts on mine boat.

04 May 2013 - 11:53

My 44 was repowered with a Nannini 50.

It has been fitted with twin belts, one for the Water pump, with a separate belt for the alternator. This works very well, as you can reduce the tention on the water pump and overdrive the alternator to produce more amps at lower revs. This is coupled to a smart regulator.

When I had a problem with the alternator I could still run the engine with the water pump, no charge but it got me home.

It does mean carrying two belts, but that is not too dificult .

Seline was repowered and she changed the water outlet from water jacket side discharge to water injection stern discharge. I did not do this but it might be worth thinking about as the issues with corrosion are less. Mine was replaced completely with new water jacket pipes in stainless, the old system was completely rotted.

The other issue to watch out for is the prop, the 44 does not have a great deal of room for the prop, it took a lot of trial and error to get it working with the new more powerful engine. I will try and find the settings and post them if that would be of any use.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Eltibs. Swan 44

10 May 2013 - 15:37

Thank Eltibs for u replay.
I want also to ask if some one know the long of Propeller Shaft with normal borg warner gear box and 4108, and if some have specifications for shaft. Because if i go to lister motor with mechanical gearbox i will miss around 15 sm of shaft and i dont know what really to doo. i have two possibiliti:
1)add 15 sm with fixation made from two pieses
2) go for new longer shaft
Any advises will bw helpful

Andrey
Kiprida. Swan 44

11 May 2013 - 08:28

Dear Andrey
There may also be a third alternative - move the new engine 15 cm aft. There are steel inserts in the engine bed for the rubber cushion bolts, and you can find out how far they extend for example by drilling small holes in the bed top.
Even if you can move the engine only say 10 cm the filler piece then needs to be 5 cm long, and could easily be made of solid material.
Kind regards
Lars

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0