Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003 needs trim tab quadrant
28 May 2013 - 15:43

Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003 needs trim tab quadrant

Dear All,

I recently realized that the quadrant for my trim tab - currently not operable - was replaced with a straight arm. 

If anyone has removed their quadrant, changed the configuration, and would like to unload it, please let me know.

I also need the two trim-tab wheels.

Thank you.

With warm regards,

Chris  Mabel's Casse Tete  43/003

29 May 2013 - 16:17

Hi Chris:

I may be mistaken but having removed and worked on both the trim tab quadrant and the rudder quadrant they both look very similar to each other in size and configuration. It would make sense from a fabrication stand point that Nautor would have used the same quadrant for both the rudder and trim tab.

It would be worth asking the professor for confirmation of factory records on this.

I'm back in the States now.

Regards,

Hiro

29 May 2013 - 19:52

Dear Hiro,

Thank you for the information and welcome home. I sent you a PM on this site yesterday. If you don't see it, I can resend to your email address.

I corresponded with the Professor about the quadrant but did not discuss dimensions. I am still hoping that one of the members has one lying around that can be re-used. If not, I will need to have one fabricated.

That may become a job for next year. Although I have not examined the trim tab according to advice by the Professor, I do know that the tab and shaft appear to move independently. I will need to make that repair. It may be that I have to make the repairs in stages.

Thanks,
Chris

29 May 2013 - 20:43

Dear Hiro and Chris
The recommendation is that the trim tab should turn 40 degrees when the rudder turns 35. This can be achieved either with a smaller quadrant when the pedestal sprockets have the same size, or if the quadrants are the same size, with a bigger sprocket for the tab.
Kind regards
Lars

29 May 2013 - 21:00

Dear Professor,
Thank you for your reply. I will keep my fingers crossed that someone wants to discard their unused quadrant; if not, I will need to have one fabricated!
With warm regards,
Chris

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 821
  • Online Members: 0