Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Keel Bolts and General Topics on Keel - Swan 37 Keel
10 June 2013 - 22:53

Swan 37 Keel

Hi Again,

Our keel had fibreglass down the trailing edge that had delaminated. I stated grinding and was surprised that there was fibreglass between the lead and the stainless trailing edge. It looks well made and like it is supposed to be there, Lars or anyone else could you confirm this? Nearly all the fibreglass was detached and had water behind it, I am happy to remove it and plan to re laminate as it was before.

Just posting partly out of curiosity and thought Id put  up a photo incase any other owners wanted to see the detail of the keel trailing edge as I couldnt find one on the forum

Cheers

Fletch

11 June 2013 - 16:09

Hi, Fletch.
According to The Professor some yachts had a trim tab(small rudder) attached to the trailing edge of the keel, and due to new racing rules later removed. In 37/12 the hollow grp was filled with foam, which after 40 yrs was very wet, and was removed thru large openings on both side of the keel. Knocking on the grp sound gives an answer, drilling too.

Best regards
Kimmo

11 June 2013 - 22:51

Thanks Kimmo!

I knew that various models of classic Swans came with a trim tab but had no idea that some 37s had it.

I will drill some holes in the GRP to see how things are regarding the water.

Great info, Thanks again!

Cheers

Fletch

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0