Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Asymmetric on 411
21 August 2013 - 14:44

Asymmetric on 411
Dear All
I know the subject has been addressed before - to some extent! However, my questions are more specific. Where does the tack connect to the bow stem or anchor roller structure? How do you prevent the sail distorting the pulpit in stronger breezes? If a tack line is used - is the sail set inside or outside the pulpit? Or above the pulpit.
Thank s for all responses in advance.
Regards
David
Baron 411

Current arrangement of Baron at the bow

Same

Same

21 August 2013 - 15:22

David,

We connect the tack of our asymmetric to a block; attached just off the side of the bow roller.  The block is on a short 3" (ish) strap.  The tack line is then lead aft along the stations in a similar way to the roller furling line, back to the fwd cockpit. 

We fly the tack above the pulpit. 

At first I didn't think this would work and felt it would foul the pulpit/furling drum etc as you suggest, but surprisingly its been Ok so far.

Originally we had the tack attached to the padeye just aft of the forestay; but obviously this does not allow you to gybe the asymmetric without dousing it; as such I was then thinking about a gennaker pole; but the arrangement above seems to work so we will carry on!

If you want a picture let me know as we will be onboard this weekend; and our bow arrangements are fairly similar.

Cheers

Adrian

Tiderace II

21 August 2013 - 17:34

Hi Adrian
A photograph would be good - thank you. I intend to race with the asymmetric that's why I am concerned with fouling the pulpit.
Best regards
David

23 August 2013 - 09:39

Dear all
Here a sketch of an alternative way of attaching the gennaker with a short line around the headstay. Some sailmakers sell a saddle for protecting the furled jib.
Kind regards
Lars

23 August 2013 - 11:23

Lars
Will this arrangement cause any localized compression to the head-sail foil, or will the saddle prevent this?
Regards
David

23 August 2013 - 14:10

David
Understand that some people use gennaker strops without a shoe protecting the foil, but it would be safer to use one.
Regards
Lars

23 August 2013 - 19:54

Dear All,

this is the way I have been flying gennaker for the last 15 years.

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

(Milu' is note sure if she likes i or not!)

23 August 2013 - 23:16

Matteo
Good photograph - great dog!
Have you avoided all damage to the pulpit?
Best regards
David

24 August 2013 - 22:37

Dear David,

thanks, she's lovely...and loves Sparkman&Stephens Swans!

No, no demages at all. Better to have one each side if you have to gybe, I have taken this pic last week, cruising on a light wind, so did not care to double it.

Fair winds!

matteo (38/067 Only You)

27 August 2013 - 14:14

David,

Had a good opportunity to use the chute this weekend, Cowes to around the Needles as we were on passage to Plymouth, so took some time to look at the arrangement in more detail.

Attached a few of pictures.  Points to note:

- The down haul does rub against the pulpit; but doesn't seem to do it enough to move it/cause damage;

- The block we are currently using is far too big as it just fouls the furling drum; we have just been playing with different arrangements so far; so I will speak to the kind folk at Antal and get something smaller and try that.

- We only use it for cruising and it seems fine for that.  I think if I was using it for racing I would be tempted to go for a genneker pole; unless this knobbles your rating?  As you would be using it in far higher winds etc. I haven't seen any up close that have been fitted to older Swans so not sure on how its arranged; but I have seen them on a S&S 44 and 441; so it obviously can be done.  The 44 was custom made, whilst the 441 was a Selden.

(We had originally used Matteo's solution; but without furry crew hand :) but wanted a solution that we could gybe without dousing the chute).

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Cheers

Adrian

27 August 2013 - 15:15

Thank you Adrian
I have uploaded a photograph of a Swan 57 with bowsprit with a flying asymmetric. As you can see the bowsprit needs to be fairly substantial as the reach needs to clear the pulpit for the downhaul. Baron is a late S&S design - approximately the same era as the 441 so the arrangement at the bow is very similar. I intend to race with the gennaker but I am not sure of a current wind limitation? I know a Swan 51 - Northern Child (a Frers design from 1981) - uses a Gennaker for racing and she seems to have the same arrangement as yours. I have loaded a view of Northern Child racing Lutine - a Swan 53 (from 1989). I will advise on my conversations with Seldon and my sailmaker in due course.
Regards
David

27 August 2013 - 15:16

27 August 2013 - 18:17

David,

The 441 I refer to is Mennes (spelling!); berthed in East Cowes marina.  Sorry should have said before!  I'll be back that way later this year and can take a couple of snaps of her!

The S&S 44 I saw was in Sweden, year before last, a Finish boat I believe.  If you contact the Swan Swedish Owners club via facebook they might be able to point you in the right direction?

Cheers

Adrian

28 August 2013 - 10:34

For cruising, we have used the spinnaker downhaul as tackline. Probably not the most efficient solution, but for racing we anyhow use our spinnakers currently.

p.s. excuse me for contaminating the S&S Swan-site with a Baltic, but have been sailing S&S-boats for all my life..

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0