Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Powered winches
09 January 2008 - 19:04
#1
Join Date: 09 January 2008
Posts: 8

Powered winches

With children leaving home and a dwindling supply of muscle from their boyfriends we are considering powering up our primaries on our Swan 57 ketch. We are open minded concerning make, hydraulic or electric. We already have an electric windlass and hydraulic backstay and kicker so further integration is not an issue.

I would be grateful to hear any views or experiences of other  devotees in helping us make our choice. The winch size will be 68s or 75s.

I am also currently renewing the original forehatch and have the curved perspex from Nautor, once I have enough courage we will start the drilling and fitting. I am concerned about the seals that the hatch drops onto and I am undecided whether to use a mastic or neoprene, any thoughts?

Happy New Year to all.

David

10 January 2008 - 19:33
#2
Join Date: 10 January 2008
Posts: 2

With children leaving home and a dwindling supply of muscle from their boyfriends we are considering powering up our primaries on our Swan 57 ketch. We are open minded concerning make, hydraulic or electric. We already have an electric windlass and hydraulic backstay and kicker so further integration is not an issue.

I would be grateful to hear any views or experiences of other  devotees in helping us make our choice. The winch size will be 68s or 75s.

I am also currently renewing the original forehatch and have the curved perspex from Nautor, once I have enough courage we will start the drilling and fitting. I am concerned about the seals that the hatch drops onto and I am undecided whether to use a mastic or neoprene, any thoughts?

Happy New Year to all.

David

I also have a 57 ketch, hull 040, and am going through the same process. Key problem is that when powering the primaries, the electric motor under the deck protrudes into the space in front of the ports in the aft stateroom. To enclose the motors, you have to build boxes that block the ports. Going with hydraulic lessens the size of the box. Only other solution is to go with Anderson Winches. Anderson makes an electric model where the motor is in a case that mounts above-decks, right under the winch itself. While the units are expensive, it looks like the easiest way to go.

For my part, I'm going with hydraulic and installing a four-station pump so I can install a couple of halyard winches as well. Once you get past the expense of the pump, the hydraulic winches are cheaper than electric - quieter, too.

If your winches are original, they cannot be retro-fitted with electric motors.

Hope this helps...

13 January 2008 - 09:09
#3
Join Date: 02 January 2008
Posts: 1547

David

Referring to winch motor position and portholes - have you considered moving the primaries aft to the position where the secondaries are? Would be convenient with a small crew.

Also, leading the sheet straight to the winches and not through the turning blocks saves a lot of friction, and reduces winch power demand. Pls note that for P side you could order a winch with the opposite turning direction to take the sheet straight onto the outboard side of the drum.

Foredeck hatch seals - suggest you consider two parallel seals with the slot between them drained, or a pneumatic seal inflated with air pressure

Kind regards

Lars

13 January 2008 - 19:49
#4
Join Date: 09 January 2008
Posts: 8

This helps a lot as it confirms my measurements and thoughts on the hydraulic option. I like the idea of two speeds with the Harken system. Thanks.

 

13 January 2008 - 20:03
#5
Join Date: 09 January 2008
Posts: 8

Professor,

I like the idea of taking out the turning blocks very much and the siting of the primaries further aft. I have often thought it would be much easier to have them there. Would further strengthening be needed for the genoa/ spinnaker winches in the secondary position?

The hatch is very much in its original condition and is not leaking at the moment but it has not been used much due to a crack in the perspex. Do you have any recomendations of a seal manufacturer? We do not have any skilled boatyards where she is moored at the moment and I am having to lead the choice of materials. Thanks again for your help and your depth of knowledge is very reassuring.

 

14 January 2008 - 18:48
#6
Join Date: 02 January 2008
Posts: 1547

David

Suggest that you first check whether the winch size you have in mind fits the coaming in the position where the secondaries are now. Strengthening above deck can be accomplished at the same time when the line entry angle is adjusted to a suitable value. About 10 degrees angle is recommended requiring a wedge under the forward end of the winch base. If the wedge is extended some distance forward, say 2 to 3" this spreads the load at the forward winch edge. The wedge could be of aluminium or fiberglass

A similar extension should be done aft to the back-up plate below deck. Without going through the turning blocks the sheet winch is loaded mainly in the fore and aft direction.

Referring to hatch rubber seals these are of circular section, solid or hollow, about 1/4", having a vertical barbed flange fitting into a narrow slot in the hatch coaming. The rubber must be UV-resistant neoprene or equal. Such seals are available from Nautor Spare Parts dept, but it is suggested you check locally

Kind regards

Lars

 

 

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0