Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Norseman cones
26 July 2016 - 10:32

Norseman cones

Need for Norseman cones, size 10 mm/19 wire. Hard to find in Europe (?)

Rgds, SAFA (51/44).

26 July 2016 - 11:53

I believe part of the difficulty may be that the supplier stopped the production of the cones and any other part for wire rigging (www.navtecriggingsolutions.com/news.html). However, remaining stock will be sold, either by Navtec or by other dealers. You can check the link to the German chandler Toplicht below; and if I can be of help with anything, let me know.

Best regards,

Martin (I think we met in Nazaré last year, or do I mix that up? I was there with our dark blue 48).

http://www.toplicht.de/en/shop/takelage/drahtseil/presshuelsen-und-terminals

02 August 2016 - 18:48

Yes we met in Nazare, You were sailing north. But finding new  cones looks difficult, maybe best way is to make byself new ones, what metal they should be, inox steel?

05 August 2016 - 11:31

Dear SAFA

Suggest you check here soon, 
http://maritimshops.fi/en/products/50489745/norseman-spare-parts

Norseman recommends replacement of the cones, but if there are threads left on the eye enabling it to be screwed in further, and tighten the strands around the cone, it may be considered to re-use the cones, with some reservations though.

There are probably indents from the strands on the used cone, and it is suggested that the strands are positioned between the the indents when re-assembling, but no strand must be in a cone slot.

The grip on the center strands inside the cone is the question mark here. If it is the old type cone with a slot on one side only, it is possible that it does not grip the core strands properly when re-used. The cone needs to be tight around the strands to begin with.
The new type cones have through slots for gripping the center strands better.

If the terminals are of the old type they look like this, having hexagonal shape, and it is recommended to use crack detecting methods to inspect the edges of the flat areas, see arrow, fatigue cracking has occurred here after long use.

The new type terminals are round and are less prone to such problems.

If you make new cones stainless AISI 316 is recommended.

Kind regards
Lars

09 August 2016 - 14:30

The terminals are 'old type'. The old cones look like to be uspoiled and the old terminal also in very good shape. But now when I can buy new cones it's all right with Me and SAFA, thanks You bros!

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0