Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Positioning radar
20 September 2016 - 13:41

Positioning radar

In improvingtheelec- tronicsof myswan,after positioningthe plotterin the cockpit,I bought aradarB&G4G,but nowI have the problemof where toinstall it.Treein theforepartwould bothertogenoain turns;on the X inthe shaft sideit istoo highand not veryaesthetic.Ina polein the stern,maybe it'sthe only solution,notaesthetically pleasing. You asyou solvedthis problem?

All comments are welcome.

ggalizia Cial II 41/004

20 September 2016 - 15:18

I mounted it on the right side of the mast like in the attached figure.  You may consider it not aesthetically accepatable but do not believe if they tell you that the mast obscures part of the beam on the left size; the radar works perfectly.

Daniel, 411/004 Luna Menguante

21 September 2016 - 18:03

Aboard Hatha I opted to mount our B&G radar on the backstay.

http://www.scanstrut.com/products/self-levelling-radar-mounts.

It required some fabrication to make a mount for the bottom of the mast on the transom, and I had to cut some notches to weave the mast through the pushpit, but I am happy with the installation.

I can send some detailed photos if you're interested.

Fair winds!

Tonyh 44 004 Hatha

22 September 2016 - 09:34

Thanks to the intervention, 
I had not thought about the possibility of mounting the radar on
backstay . If for you it is easy to send photos
of the installation that you have made, it might be useful.

ggalizia Cial 41/004

23 September 2016 - 05:45

Dear Ggalizia

Here are photos of the Radome installation showing the notches cut out for the railings as well as the base I had fabricated. I also mounted my AIS and GPS antennas on it.

The mast extrusion has a wall thickness of about 2mm, and is divided into 2 halves with a soild piece all the way up its center, so I am not worried about the notches weakening it. 

The Professor would know better, but I think your geometry might be the same on the 41.

There is also an option to mount the dome behind the backstay.I mention this because when standing behind the wheel, when you look up to your windex, your view is blocked by the radar dome. It's easy enough to move to the side and see the windex, but I wanted to point this out.

On the advice of a friend, we painted a large pair of eyes on the top of the dome, and believe it or not, the birds have never touched it!

Fair Winds!

Tonyh

26 September 2016 - 18:16

I had a radar pole but esthetically not very nice.    I switched to a Scanstrut backstay mount which I think looks much better and is self-levelling.   You can also mount the gps antenna on it

26 November 2016 - 17:26

On Salamanda it is on the backstay, solid tube with swivel head so Radar is always horizontal.

26 November 2016 - 23:06

I used the Scanstrut on the backstay of my swan 40 and am very pleased with the result. The dome is behind the backstay so less danger of flapping reefing lines or topping lift wrapping themselves around the dome.   You can also mount your gps aerial on the Scanstrut.  Installation was not particularly complicated. I had a radar pole but it didn't look good

27 November 2016 - 11:51

I am very pleased with the Scanstrut backstay mount on my Swan 40.   I put the dome behind the backstay, far from any flogging lines.    In this way the deck mount is forward of the backstay and can be bolted directly to the aft deck.  The gps aerial can be mounted near the radar dome with a special bracket and all the wiring goes inside the Scanstrut.  Scanstrut supply a waterproof through-deck cable fitting which works very well.   I had a pole but it didn't look good and was a nuisance on the aft deck

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0