Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan Maintenance - Interior Access for Repair - Swan 47
19 March 2017 - 16:54

Interior Access for Repair - Swan 47

I'm working faster and faster in preparation for my first launch in April. I've been struggling with some items and could use some advice:

In general I find the small access doors provided for maintenance too small for major work.

1. Both head discharge seacocks are seized. I'm working on them but I find the access through the small opening under the sinks very difficult. I've already removed the doors. I can't imagine hose replacement. Is the entire wood panel ever removed for this type of work?

2. There is 3 or more generations of navigation and radar system upgrades as well as many inverters installed. The amount of redundant wire is astounding. I'm in the process of removal but the small access doors below the electrical panel provided seem impossible to work through. I'm interested to know if the interior woodwork is ever removed.

Looking forward to any advice.

Douglas Svastal - Swan 47 - "Till"

19 March 2017 - 21:52

Dear Douglas,

1 - changing the hoses is quite difficult but could be done, you need some patience!

2 - have you considered to modify the panel and have a slightly different layout, with one single and bigger panel easily accessible? attached photo, you could see how I have modified the panel on my 47/069 Vanessa, it's now very easy to open it and plenty of room behind, without loosing the traditional style

Fair winds!

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

Original electric switch panel

20 March 2017 - 00:51

Matteo, what you have done with the electrical panel is fantastic. I saw your pictures of the refit elsewhere on the forum. That confirms that the wood panels are not easily removeable. You cut the new opening in place corrrect? I have some instruments in the same wood panel where your VHF radio is installed and have yet to discover how they were installed. I've attached a photo for amusement. I would love to be able to remove that whole panel.

Douglas - Swan 47 - "Till"

Swan 47 - Navigation Table

20 March 2017 - 09:12

Dear Douglas,

yes, I cut a new one and changed  the VHF radio one too, please see attachment

Fair winds

matteo (47/069 Vanessa)

Original switch panel

20 March 2017 - 17:23

Matteo - thank you very much for those pictures. It is exactly what I was looking for!

21 March 2017 - 12:20

I'm working faster and faster in preparation for my first launch in April. I've been struggling with some items and could use some advice:

In general I find the small access doors provided for maintenance too small for major work.

1. Both head discharge seacocks are seized. I'm working on them but I find the access through the small opening under the sinks very difficult. I've already removed the doors. I can't imagine hose replacement. Is the entire wood panel ever removed for this type of work?

2. There is 3 or more generations of navigation and radar system upgrades as well as many inverters installed. The amount of redundant wire is astounding. I'm in the process of removal but the small access doors below the electrical panel provided seem impossible to work through. I'm interested to know if the interior woodwork is ever removed.

Looking forward to any advice.

Douglas Svastal - Swan 47 - "Till"

Hi Douglas,

here are some additional pics for your information. These show the following things:

1) A refurbishment of our Nav station (2014), albeit not quite to Matteos meticulous standarts. We took out an ancient SEA 222 SSB, an old Raytheon radar, and some other old electronics and replaced them with more recent stuff. We also had to pull out several kilometers of unused wires. The panel came out just fine on our boat, lots of screws though. The new arrangement has a lot of shelve space for books, cables and other miscellaneous stuff.

2) We, too, had to replace all the worn BLAKE seacocks and went for FORESPAR MARELON equipment instead, that are epoxied into the hull and flush on the outside when closed. The panel in the bathroom had to come out for this, too, but it did, and well enough.

3) In the owners cabin, we fitted a nice little washing mashine. For this, we had to remove the big panel of the great double locker, too. This was very difficult, because it was fastened from the backside with tons of narrow slotted bronce screws. Took a week to dig them all out. When we put the panel back in, we opted for a different way to fix it securely: Tied it on with dyneema instead. Works very well.

Have fun, and kind regards from Britta and Michael / 47-013 VERA / happily cruising in the Canaries.

P.S. ...might need another post or two to upload all the pics.

The Nav station open, panel removed

The updated Nav station

The panel with altered cutouts

21 March 2017 - 12:25

Hi Douglas,

here comes part two, seacocks...

Michael / 47-013 VERA

The bathroom panel removed

Blake seacocks removed

The new FORESPAR seacocks glassed in

21 March 2017 - 12:30

Hi Douglas,

here comes part three, panel removal in the owners cabin, washing machine...

Note the small stainless fittings on the back of the panel to tie it back on with dyneema 

Michael / 47-013 VERA

The removed panel

The washing machine installed

23 March 2017 - 01:08

Thank you Michael and Matteo. These are very helpful. I'll post an update soon.

23 March 2017 - 10:37

In the next month I plan to replace the 1-1/2 Blakes discharge seacock of the toilet of my 411 and I already know that I will need to remove totally or partly the washbasin cabinet.  I noticed a picture in this thread that may apply to my case but I wonder if someone has experience and advice regarding the 411 in particular.

Daniel, 411-004 Luna Menguante

23 March 2017 - 20:28

Douglas,

You are in good company, with those pictures from Matteo and Michael you will see that you really can re think those areas. I have done a similar process at the switchboard, and I can only add that in the heads, the panels beneath the basins come away easily (as in Michaels good pictures) which gives you much better access to deal with those seacocks. I removed ours for the same reason as you, and took the opportunity to tidy up the whole area and re varnish too.

Best of luck

Rob

Sarabande 47/029

• Threads : 1698
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0