Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

Sail & Rigging - Original Running Rigging
30 January 2008 - 10:26

Original Running Rigging
Top 'a the morning to all!
Does anyone (maybe the Prof.) have any records of the original standards of running rigging for the 47 in 1979? We need the dimensions, braid types, and colors where applicable/possible. We still have original winches for the most part, and we are looking to replace our running rigging as needed with as close to the "look" of the original (if possible).
Original material composition is secondary (though am curious), as we are looking to recreate the look with updated fibers.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Ciao for now.
Jayne
Aorangi 47/047

01 February 2008 - 17:42

Dear Jayne

The original running rigging specs are on file, but I am afraid Nautor's Technical Service is not willing to give them out. Also, at the time wire halyards with rope tails were used.

Assume you would prefer all rope, which requires quite different fibers instead of the soft braid Trevira originally used. Referring to appearance there was only one choice - white with blue specks. I think riggers are able to quote suitable sizes of today's stuff.

If you would like to use Rod Stephens recommended knot for attaching the halyard schackles instead of splicing pls let me know

Best regards

Lars

04 February 2008 - 18:08

Dear Lars,
Thank you so much for the info. I wish I could get the specs for my files, but understand. We are actually looking to replace the metal halyards (still have 2) with fiber, and I have found a manufacturer willing to work with me on the “look” that I want for a modest quantity in spectra (opaque). so I just need to find the exact braid type and go from there. I have some old sheets (at least I think they were) that seem to have been all white with a very soft flex of what I believe is an 8 strand outer braid. does this ring a bell? I would like to do the same type braid if it is the one that Trevira used. (they don’t seem to do cording anymore) i can post a blow up of a section if that would help. (thanks you for your patience)

I would be VERY interested in learning to execute the knot used by Rod Stephens instead of the splicing. How exciting to bring another little piece of history back on board! thank you in advance and look forward to hearing from you.
ciao for now.
Jayne

05 February 2008 - 16:59

Dear Jayne

Yes, very soft all white braid was used, and the product was specially manufactured to correspond to Rod's softness criteria. The manufacturer was Manilla in Turku, Finland, and their literature mentioned Trevira fiber, which is a trade name for polyester. This braid could only be used for sheets, it had too much elongation for halyards, therefore the wire.

The alternative polyester braid with blue specks has much less elongation due to special construction, and could be used also for halyards. This product is still available today, it is denoted Gleistein Cup, see www.gleistein.com

Attaching the halyard schackles with a knot can be used to extend the useful life of halyards. Make the halyard a little overlength to start with, when it begins to show signs of chafing locally cut off the knot and make a new one. This will move the chafing point to a new location, this can be repeated as long as the added length permits.

A bowline is not suitable for halyard schackles - it tends to be too long for getting the sail hoisted right to the top. The knot therefore has to be very short, and Rod's proposed knot is just that. It should be noted that this knot will tighten itself under load so it can not be opened - this is by definition not a proper knot but only suitable for this purpose.

It is recommended that the end coming out from the knot is attached with a few stitches to prevent it from creeping through.

I tried to upload the picture in Word-format, but this does not work. I try to send this text off and the picture later.

Lars

05 February 2008 - 17:39

Jayne

Here comes the picture. The knot is a double half hitch but done the wrong way.

Lars

15 February 2008 - 10:44

Dear Lars,
Thanks for the knot and the advise! Sometimes the simple things are to best...Look forward to putting it to use soon.
Until the next query.
Ciao for now.
Jayne

07 December 2008 - 19:05

Dear Jayne,

We bought Rumtrader (S&S 47 n° 59 year 81) and have still some patches of orginal runing rigging. We are planning a major change of the rigging (runing and fixed) and therefore read your questions with great interest.  

For halyard knot we use the "noeud de capucin".  I do not know the name in english. 

Before going to into detail I have to improve my knowledge of the english sailing terminology.  This is my first contribtution to this wonderful internet site

Regards

12 December 2008 - 08:33

Congratulations on your purchase of a marvelous 47! Here's hoping that you will be as happy over the years as we've been on Aorangi! All the best of luck for your refitting, and will look forward to exchanging notions and issues. ciao for now. Jayne 047/47 Aorangi

• Threads : 1702
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0