Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Fuel Guage Swan 38
31 January 2008 - 09:28
#1
Join Date: 12 June 2007
Posts: 39

Fuel Guage Swan 38

Hello All,

Advice please -Swan 38 -no 86 , has no fuel guage. I note the tank is asymmetric , has anyone retrofitted a simple guage , or have any suggestions.

Soon be Spring

Yours Aye

Alasdair

01 February 2008 - 17:23
#2
Join Date: 28 March 2007
Posts: 5

Alasdair,

I have retrofitted an electric gauge to the main fuel tank and it has worked well. Just in case, I use the Nautor metal gauge to double check. It is a bit cumbersome but never fails.

Best,

Juan

01 February 2008 - 19:34
#3
Join Date: 12 June 2007
Posts: 39

Alasdair, I have retrofitted an electric gauge to the main fuel tank and it has worked well. Just in case, I use the Nautor metal gauge to double check. It is a bit cumbersome but never fails. Best, Juan

Hi Juan, thankyou for that - I dont have metal guage, use dipstick after unscrewing brass stop- is that the original guage ?
Yours aye Alasdair

01 February 2008 - 20:06
#4
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Dear Alasdair,
I have retrofitted too an electric gauge (VDO), works...quite well... but original metal gauge is quite better. Anyway I keep record of every engine hour and I am usually able to know ( +/- 5 ltr. ) how many fuel liters I've got on my tank. Never failed!
Fair winds!
Matteo (38/067 Only You)

02 February 2008 - 13:15
#5
Join Date: 12 June 2007
Posts: 39

Thanks Matteo. For clarity, should there be a guage on the fuel tank, and if so do you know where I could get one. Secondly, any idea how many litres per hour a Bukh 24 uses at cruising revs??
Thankyou
Youre aye
Alasdair

02 February 2008 - 15:38
#6
Join Date: 29 January 2007
Posts: 1145

Fuel consumption for BUKH DV 24 ME, at 3.000 revs is about 2.5/2.8 ltr./h. You can get Tempo electric gauge from westmarine (2007 catalogue pag. 610) or, better of all, you could buy a Tank Tender unit, never fails!
Fair winds!
Matteo (38/067 Only You)

02 February 2008 - 20:49
#7
Join Date: 12 June 2007
Posts: 39

You're a star. Italy unlucky today
Alasdair

03 February 2008 - 21:02
#8
Join Date: 06 February 2007
Posts: 53

Alasdair, use the dipstick from the outside towards the inner bottom of the tank and then read as follows: 4'=1.5l; 11'=10l; 13,5'=15l; 16'=20l; 18'=25l; 19,5'=30l; 21'=35l; 22,5'=40l; 24'=45l; 25,5'=50l; 27'=55l; 28,5'=60l; 33,5'=70l If your dipstick isn't the same than mine - take the 5l canister you have in reserve... P.S. Fuel consumption with our BUKH is the same: approxemately 2,5 l / hour. Toni (38/113)

04 February 2008 - 16:35
#9
Join Date: 12 June 2007
Posts: 39

Excellent info Gesatoni, thankyou

Alasdair

  • Threads : 1804
  • Posts : 10761
  • Members: 862
  • Online Members: 0