Do you want to be informed on new Posts on this Thread? (members only)

S&S Swan General - Propane Tanks
13 August 2017 - 22:46

Propane Tanks

On my 43 I am trying to find a better location I for my propane tanks.  Presently, they are on deck in the stern in a vented box.  The box holds two 10 pound (approx 2.5 gallons each) steel propane tanks.  The height of 10 pound aluminium tanks won't fit as they are too tall so I am contemplating where I might relocate.  I'm wondering where others with 43's are storing them. Thanks.   John McKay

30 August 2017 - 15:25

Dear John,

I have also contemplated the placement of propane tanks.  When I bought my boat, the previous owner had cut a hole behind the cockpit and before the backstay and inserted a  vented box; he used a horizontal bottle.

I did not like this because I could not get access to the area below the box.  My preference is for something that is removeable.  

Here are the two ideas I am thinking about:  cut a round hole in the starbord deck near the aft corner of the cockpit and insert a cylander that holds a propane bottle; install a hatch.  Second, I have seen tall bottles mounted on the stern pulpit and enclosed within a stainless steel surround.  This actually looks very clean.

Unlike, you, I am not in need of propane while  my boat languishes on the hard!

Good luck!

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete  43/003 

31 August 2017 - 09:49

Dear John and Chris

If the lazarette is needed for stowage it is suggested you check if the LPG box can be recessed into the bridgedeck, there might be free space on CL inside.
Kind regards
Lars

31 August 2017 - 14:09

Dear John and Chris

If the lazarette is needed for stowage it is suggested you check if the LPG box can be recessed into the bridgedeck, there might be free space on CL inside.
Kind regards
Lars

Chris & Lars,

Thank  you for your comments.......Not sure which way I'll go with this.

john

31 August 2017 - 21:10

Dear Professor,

Very interesting idea.  I'll look at the boat and see if it might fit.  If so, I think this may be a favorable placement.

Thank you.

Chris Mabel's Casse Tete 43/003

• Threads : 1701
  • Members: 820
  • Online Members: 0